files missing from folder

Reaction score
I know this might sound strange, but I had 2 folders on my desktop, both of which had multiple subfolders. Recently, while I was deleting some items from Downloads folder, I saw that the files from dekstop folders went missing. I wasn't deleting them accidentally, since that would've implied to go through every subfolder. I simply dont't know that happened. The folders are still there, with the subfolders, but the files are missing. I use Mavericks on a 13'' white Macbook.
Has anyone any idea? I really need to know what happened. Those were valuable files for my work. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No one is going to be able to answer your question because we have no idea what you were doing at the time the files disappeared or what made them disappear. Your concern now should be to try to recover them with speciality software. Also the more you use your computer the more chance the deleted files may be overwritten.

I recommend Data Rescue 3 to try to recover your files. It's expensive software so you should probably download their trial version first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Or the OP could restore the files from his backup :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Or the OP could restore the files from his backup :)

That is the only way to go.

Or ... restore from the trash.

If the files were valuable, then there needs to be a backup, otherwise the files were not valuable.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why are you keeping files in folders on the Desktop? Keep all your files in Documents. Back up documents regularly. If you want quick access to the folders, there are a number of ways to accomplish that. Go with the OS; don't fight it.

You're in recovery mode now, as others have said.

OP
P
Reaction score
solved

First of all, thank you all for your replies. I didn't expect such promptitude. It is my first thread on the forum.

Well, through the means of logic, I figured it out. I was a bit drunk and that logic came to me only a bit later. What I was doing was to delete files from 'Downloads', at least that was what I was thinking I'm doing. Except the fact that, in my foolishness, I've selected, accidentally, 'All my files' folder. Yeah, a classic example of stupidity, I know :D. Luckily, I already managed to recover the most important files using Disk Drill and Stellar Phoenix MacData Recovery.

I dont't use Time Machine, or other backup, only an external HDD where I transfer the important files more or less regularly. Anyway, thanks again for your replies and kindness. Maybe, the lesson of the day: 'Try not to delete files from your computer when you're drunk or in other states of altered consciousness' :D

OP
P
Reaction score
That is the only way to go.

Or ... restore from the trash.

If the files were valuable, then there needs to be a backup, otherwise the files were not valuable.

Cheers ... McBie

Well, if I could've restored from Trash you can imagine that forum post would not exist. I've emptied the Trash immediately after deleting the files. I'm not a dumb, I was only drunk :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nothing wrong with being drunk :)
Sometimes the mouse is faster than the brain ...
I think the lesson off the day is making sure you have daily backups, and then you can be drunk and delete all you want :)

No worries mate, it will all be fine in the end.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I dont't use Time Machine, or other backup, only an external HDD where I transfer the important files more or less regularly. Anyway, thanks again for your replies and kindness. Maybe, the lesson of the day: 'Try not to delete files from your computer when you're drunk or in other states of altered consciousness' :D

By judicious use of Time Machine preferences you could set it to only back up the files you need backed up and not have to worry about forgetting. However, not remembering to add newly created 'important files' to the back up list is another matter.

OP
P
Reaction score
By judicious use of Time Machine preferences you could set it to only back up the files you need backed up and not have to worry about forgetting. However, not remembering to add newly created 'important files' to the back up list is another matter.

I agree with you, Sawday. In the future, I will definitely consider using Time Machine, this very useful OS feature. Thanks for the suggestion. All the best!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.