Updating MS Office for Mac

Reaction score
I bought a copy of MS Office for Mac 2008 a while back and have downloaded three MS updates for the program but cannot get them to install.

At first the update would not find the volume that Office was installed on, it could find other discs but not Mac HD.

Then it would find the HD but when I dbl click to install the update I get this msg; " Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) can’t be installed on this disk.
A version of the software required to install this update was not found in this volume." So as long as I've had Office 2008 I have not been able to add these updates.

I have a late 2009 OS X 10.6.8 Mtn Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try downloading 12.3.6 from this link and see if it works. The .3 shows there has been three major updates since Office 2008 was released and the .6 minor updates after 12.3.0 If no joy use the Uninstaller in Office 2008, and install a nice clean version, use the activation key code, and then update.

Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.6 Update

You may need to go via the 12.1 update first. It was released way back in 2008 not long after Office 2008 was released. Where did you purchase Office 2008 from may I ask?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=7799

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A version of the software required to install this update was not found in this volume." So as long as I've had Office 2008 I have not been able to add these updates.

You're either missing the update installer or you've got a corrupted install of MS Office 2008. If you installed MS Office 2008 from Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, it may be corrupt. MS Office 2008 was designed to be installed on both PPC and Intel machines, therefore it needed Rosetta to install. There was a work around and update that allowed it to install OK after Snow Leopard (last version of OS X to include Rosetta).

I usually recommend not purchasing Office 2008 and purchase Office 2011 instead for the above reason.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to Harry B an Chscag for the words of advice. I bought the Office program at Frys and asked specifically if it was compatible with my Snow Leopard as I now remember. I will look for Rosetta and the update installer in my Office program.

Don't want to get a newer version of Office, always felt that newer versions of anything MS will be worse than the last one. That's why I now have a MAC. My wife has Windows 8 UGH!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't want to get a newer version of Office, always felt that newer versions of anything MS will be worse than the last one. That's why I now have a MAC. My wife has Windows 8 UGH!!

I would normally agree with you if this was Windows, but it's not. Office 2011 is many times more refined than Office 2008 and is designed to be run on Intel machines only. It also brings back macros and scripting which Office 2008 does not have. I couldn't do without the scripting in my work. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with chscag and when the times comes to update your machine Office 2011 will be compatible

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.