• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Market Share of Mac & Windows: Why huge difference?

Reaction score
I had a conversation with my uncle who brought up a topic some of us may take for granted. My uncle is a Generation X who is new to the computing scene. Not saying that I am an expert either.

Me: Many or perhaps even most people today consider MAC OS to be a superior product to Windows.

Uncle: That is why it is expensive. Like a Ford compared to a Ferrari (i.e. what he is conveying is that more people buy Fords because they cannot afford to buy Ferrari's, hence a bigger market share for Ford. Also, you pay for what you get in life most of the time)

Me: It is not like that. As frequently praised as it is, Macs have less than 10% of the market share, yet is only slightly higher than some PC’s with the same specs. There are even some PC’s with the same specs that are more expensive than Macs.

Uncle: So why are Mac users such a big minority for it’s superior quality and small differences in pricing. It doesn’t make any sense!

What I am about to say next, I do not know if it is valid. Correct me if I am wrong or add on to my existing knowledge.

Me: It stems from its’ historical trend. Prior to 2007 when Apple was not as popular, Windows was perceived by many to be a superior product. Windows could have very well been a superior product back then. Since the vast majority were Windows users, many of them are used to the OS and reluctant to learn a new OS from scratch again. This is why Mac users are still a big minority.

Besides this historical influence, some people buy non-Apple computers because it's hardware is customizable and Windows has more software and games.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It is not just about technology, it is more about the business model that a company chooses.
Why does Apple have less market share but has by far the biggest pile of cash.
Their business model is focussed on profit margin, not on market share.
Windows was also very successful because of the distribution mechanism .... every PC vendor had windows installed as a means to sell their hardware. This is also partly the downfall of windows, because MS needed to ensure that their OS ran on every imaginable piece of hardware .... a race you can not win.
Apple knew exactly on what hardware their OS would be running, no fuss.

It is all about the business model you choose for your company and your products.

For me personally, I love the combination of hardware and software that allows OS X to work for me ( not the other way around ) and I am confident that when I open the lid, the machine is there and it is robust.
Is Apple too expensive ? .... Yes, but that is another discussion and one I should not have because I choose to buy one..... I could have easily bought a windows machine and live with the consequences.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
On the topic of whether Mac is expensive: When I do a comparison with the Macbook Air, the competitors prices are actually more expensive.

Macbook Air (Australia): 128Gb, i5, 4 GB Ram ($1,200 AUD)

ASUS ultrabook: 128Gb, i5, 4 GB ($2,000)
Asus UX301LA-C4003H Ultrabook Laptop - Laptops - Computers - Computers & Tablets | Harvey Norman Australia

LG ultrabook: 128GB, i5, 4 GB ($1,400)
LG 13Z940-I5 Ultra PC Ultrabook Laptop - Laptops - Computers - Computers & Tablets | Harvey Norman Australia

Samsung Ativ Book 9: 128GB, i5, 4GB ($1,280)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVFMDN8/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Sony Vaio Ultrabook: 128 GB, i5, 4GB ($1,600)
SVP13216PG : VAIO® Pro 11/13 : VAIO™ Laptops & Computers : Sony Australia

Therefore, I ask myself 'Why does Apple still have a fraction of the market share when they are cheaper?' Certainly MS force manufacturers to install Windows into their hardware but people have a choice of converting especially if it's more economical and proficient right? In other words, it leads me to believe that many people fear change. Change in an OS and learn everything from scratch.

If you are referring to prices of iPhones and iPads in comparison to competitors, yes, Apple is more expensive. However, this analysis is between Windows vs Macs and it appears Apple priced Macs very competitively to capture new customers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another way to look at it OSX is only on Mac's legally.
So that leaves every other brand on the shelf running Windows that would be like 10 brands to one.
A lot of people shop for the cheapest model they can find a race Apple has no desire to enter thank goodness!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the "Lounge" where it is on topic.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry...as much as I would like to...I'm not even gonna get myself started in this thread. Don't need any blood-pressure spikes!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please contribute :)

Apple Macintosh computers have been around since 1984...not a lot has changed since (market share comparisons). This topic has been discussed to death...death...death. 30 years now & counting!:(

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
All I know is that in the 80's Apple had success but back then their prices were very high and had fewer software than Microsoft, hence the small market share. In the mid to late 90's, they were in financial hardship, which was a result of poor sales. So I'm not surprised why their market share would have diminished even more.

Now...buying a Mac is quite affordable and apps are sufficient. Market share is a mystery to me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Market share is a mystery to me.

Apple's computer market share has rarely if ever been more than 10% (Windows computers 90% or more). Yes there have definitely been times when Apple's market share was lower than 10%.

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, some thoughts..

In the early 80's all computers were expensive because the "personal computer" was just starting to really catch on. Apple hit the education market hard and a lot of Apple II's were in classrooms. This gave kids a lot of familiarity with it's operating system of the day. Also apple came out with a mouse and floppy drive, (beats a tape decks every time!) plus offered an easier system to operate. Only problem was cost. Most families could not afford one.

Enter Microsoft with Windows. I was a high school computer teacher in the late 80's, which meant we received a lot of free stuff from microsoft. First DOS 1.0 to 6.0 (if memory serves me.) The first version of Windows I received was 3.0. It was a real dog. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was a vast improvement and was the first competition for apple's OS - in my opinion. We even were given free copies of Office. Then came the cheap clones that would run Windows and the home owner could now afford one.

I feel Apple dropped the ball in the 90's and lost the education market as well. Education was targeted hard by IBM, Dell, and Gateway with all kinds of deals and incentives that allowed us to put computers in our schools. We also got all kinds of state and federal dollars that had to be used to add technology. Apple never offered us any of the deals the Windows based companies did. First step to successful integration of product...influence and train the young.

Now apple, in my opinion, since the 90's has been working to create a better product more appealing to the market. The iPhone and iPad have been a great start.

Yes, if we compare an apple computer to a windows computer and match the machine specs, the price will be very competitive. The biggest problem is the operating system. There is a difference which is why I joined this forum. I have stated before that I have learned so much on this forum and that has enabled me to feel comfortable on a mac. But remember, we have generations of kids who were taught in school to use windows systems. That is hard to fix. 90% of people operate under the "kiss" principle. They are not inclined to learn a new OS which is why the 90% of the market is Windows.

That is where people are comfortable and unless malware pushes them to "see the light" they won't change. Now, if it does then I imagine the malware creators will redirect their efforts to Apple products. Which brings me to the fact I am quite happy with apple's 10%. I like not being part of the target rich environment.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Looks like we have an accord of thoughts on this Windows vs. Mac market share theory

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was going to post a book but lclev said a lot of what I was going to say.

I will just add in the 80s the Mac OS was clearly superior to Windows anything but the price was so high on Apples hardware it kept many (including me) away. A close friend gave me my first Mac Plus and got me started. Compared to Windows 3.1 it was in all my usage night and day. Apple prices after Jobs was fired continued to rise and many very poorly done Macs were also produced at lower prices but were not that good hardware wise.

It was not really till Steve Jobs came back to Apple that things really changed in Apples favor. Mac OS had gotten so far behind with the release of first Windows 95/98 NT then 2000 that is was sad. All that changed first with OSX.

Also when the Mini came out people could finally afford a Mac without breaking the bank.

But to me the largest thing that put Apple in the hands of more people was the transition to Intel. Still today some very blind people say Power PC was better. No, The Intel Macs are what helped more and more people to turn to Apple and OSX. Jobs sure did the right thing there.

Today like has been said, even though Macs are in the higher priced area, if you truly match every spec and quality part the PC will be very close price wise to what Apple makes. The large issue is a lot of people don't care and just want a computer and get the cheapest thing they can afford, but in so doing corners are cut in quality hardware, but for these more casual users, its fine.

For me, I like OSX so much I have scraped and saved to keep as up to date as possible and keep using Macs. Many are not willing to do that and get what they can easily afford.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like we have an accord of thoughts on this Windows vs. Mac market share theory

Not really. The definition of "accord" is..."to be in agreement or harmony; agree."

Accord | Define Accord at Dictionary.com

We are not in agreement. Some of the more important reasons for the difference in market share between Apple and Windows computers has not been mentioned.

I'm done.;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I was referring to Iclev
1. Macs and Windows of similar/same specs are similar in price in contemporary times
2. This leads to the conclusion it may be because reluctance of changing OS

Bare in mind the topic questions the reason for the significant difference in market share for Mac vs Windows in the past 3 to 5 years. The aspect of Macs being competitively price and more proficient raises the question.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not really. The definition of "accord" is..."to be in agreement or harmony; agree."

Accord | Define Accord at Dictionary.com

We are not in agreement. Some of the more important reasons for the difference in market share between Apple and Windows computers has not been mentioned.

I'm done.;)

- Nick

Come on Nick, tell us the reasons! :D Grin

My reasons are never marketshare. I go for quality and performance and usability! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For mine, Windows is way more popular for one reason. You can install the operating systems, way back to Windows 95 on any old computer without provision for security hence the huge, huge number of viruses that have been released over the years. Boy some of those original Taiwanese and Chinese computers were pretty terrible machines.

Each and every Mac, apart for a year or two when clones were permitted, the hardware is strictly controlled by Apple and the operating systems built on the Unix code for the last thirteen years or so ensures security is to the fore. Hence still no Mac OS X viruses.

C

chas_m

I could write a book on this, but for now I'll limit myself to some facts. The marketshare for Mac has gone up considerably over the last 14 years, though it's hard to get exact figures because the companies that often publish this information don't count certain kinds of sales.

Apple is now one of the top five computer manufacturers. If you count the iPad as a computer, Apple is the NUMBER ONE computer manufacturer.

According to Net Applications, which measures web presence, the Mac has about eight percent world wide share. 14 years ago, it was two percent.

If you include iOS, Apple has about 16 percent worldwide share.

OP
S
Reaction score
Apple sales has increased significantly, for instance, in the U.S in recent years. I am assuming similar rate of growths for other first world nations.

For developing countries (from Brazil to Vietnam) however, people may not be able to afford such premium products and not to mention the heavy tariffs on Apple products. Needless to mention the affordability in third world countries. This may explain why Apple's market share does not yield a perfect linear correlation with Apple's competitiveness against Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.