Macbook Pro retina - specs advice please!

Reaction score
I have a strict budget of $2100 max (including tax) for a new macbook pro. So, I need to decide whether to get 16MB RAM OR the i7 processor, I can't have both. I want to do all the basic stuff PLUS amateur video editing (home videos) and photo organizing/etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go for the extra memory. Keep in mind that all MacBook Pro retina machines are non upgradeable. In other words, what you buy is what you have to live with. Get as large a SSD and as much memory as you can afford. Give the i7 a pass, you won't notice the difference in speed from the standard CPU.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a strict budget of $2100 max (including tax) for a new macbook pro. So, I need to decide whether to get 16MB RAM OR the i7 processor, I can't have both. I want to do all the basic stuff PLUS amateur video editing (home videos) and photo organizing/etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Buy an Apple refurbished Mac...or a used Mac.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Go for the extra memory. Keep in mind that all MacBook Pro retina machines are non upgradeable. In other words, what you buy is what you have to live with. Get as large a SSD and as much memory as you can afford. Give the i7 a pass, you won't notice the difference in speed from the standard CPU.

Thanks. So maybe this for $2079?

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I could find the perfect refurbished one, what would it be? Most of the ones I've looked at today have only 8MB…

You didn't say if you were only interested in a 13" rMBP...or if a 15" model would work too. Check the specs on this one:

- 15" rMBP
- 16 gig ram
- quad core i7 cpu
- 512gig flash storage
- 1gig video ram

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

Price...$2079. I know that this may be pushing your max. budget a bit. But some pretty awesome specs.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
You didn't say if you were only interested in a 13" rMBP...or if a 15" model would work too. Check the specs on this one:

- 15" rMBP
- 16 gig ram
- quad core i7 cpu
- 512gig flash storage
- 1gig video ram

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

Price...$2079. I know that this may be pushing your max. budget a bit. But some pretty awesome specs.

- Nick

I'm ok with either but would slightly prefer the 13" as I have the mega-screen if I need to see anything bigger (photos etc). But, my budget is not self implied, its an allowance I am allowed to spend up to and not exceed, and I'm not allowed to put in any cash to make up a price difference. So whilst those specs are PERFECT if I add tax it will tip me over the $2100 max. So I guess I'm trying to get as close to $2100 as poss without exceeding it which turns out to be hard - either I sit at $1900 or go to $2190. Argh!!

Thanks for all your advice, I will keep my eyes open for a refurbished deal or just go with the latest i5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.