"Other" taking up over 60% of harddrive??

Reaction score
Hello all,
My first post so please excuse if this is in the wrong area.

My harddrive is currently full and I am having probs trying to free up space.

I have a 250gb hard drive but 140gb is 'other'. I have gone through a removed pretty much all files (photo's & vids') I can but see nothing over 250mb (most large stuff is < 100mb).

From what I understand the 'other' refers to important files for the osx etc and shouldn't be touched, but surely it can't be taking up that much of my hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's anything that isn't covered by the other categories.

Removing photos and videos won't help since those aren't covered under the "Other" category. What kinds of files do you have in your user directory?

OP
S
Reaction score
is there a way to see what is classified as a photo by Mac? I have a lot of CR2 and tif files? They are photo's, but wonder if Mac doesn't recognize them as such.

thanks again for your help

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks - Disk Inventory X identified iPhoto as the culprit - Is there a way to see if it is certain photo's that are driving this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well first question how many photos adorn iPhot? Have you ever thought of putting iPhoto on an external hard drive? Take it this is on an SSD as the drive is only 250GB in size?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.