Am I the only one with Mail notification problem?

Reaction score
I have to open the mail folder to see if there is mail in it, the notification is not showing if there is or how many. Or, there is 3 mail in it and after opening all, it still shows 3. Cannot quit Mail the regular way, Command + Quit, I must Force Quit.... so what to do????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on what operating system you are using which you have not shared with us. Do you have a Dock? Does the Mail icon appear in the Dock? When you get mail a red number appears on the Mail icon as well as your chosen sound notification unless you have deselected these option in Mail Preferences.

OP
G
Reaction score
I am on Version 10.9.2 Maverick
Yes, I have a Dock and the Mail App is showing with the Red dot when I have new mail. Say like 3, so I open the three but it's still shows 3 as not open.
Some folder will have new mail in it but not showing how many.
I have already Rebuild each folder numerous time. The mystery is that, to close mail I must Force Quit....
Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you open Mail after the numeral red 3, it vanishes which is normal. If you have increased the number of mail boxes of course it cannot show each and every one only the total items. Try Repairing Permissions and if no better run Onyx over the whatever it is.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I did Repair Permission and also the Onyx, still the same problem. I must open each mail folder to see if I have new mail.
I just realize I didn't get an original install disc when I purchase my I mac from an Apple Store. Should it have been coming with it?
I looks like I need to reinstall the Mail Application Folder? What do you suggest next? I did upgrade to Maverick expecting the problem would go away but didn't.
Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to reinstall the Mail application, you'll need to reinstall Mavericks from the Mac App Store. Reinstalling will not cause any loss of data or documents. But backup anyway!

Log on to the Mac App Store and select "Purchased". You should see Mavericks and next to it will be the word "download". You can download from there. After it's downloaded, select to install it from your Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open the App St ore and in the Finder field typeMavericks and up it will come for another download.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll find "Purchases" at the top of the App store opening screen. You can't miss it. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On not reading in the dock all mail folders with new messages, Open MAIL Preferences and on the General Tab do you see Dock Unread Count? If so change it to All Mailboxes.

Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 11.50.33 PM.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Unfortunately after doing all you suggested, the problem remain the same....
Really appreciate your help.
Thank you

OP
G
Reaction score
How do I go about either replacing the whole Mail Application or re-instal the System?
I just realize that I didn't get the Original Instal Disk when a purchase from the Apple Store.
Thanks in advance
Gilbert

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I go about either replacing the whole Mail Application or re-instal the System?
I just realize that I didn't get the Original Instal Disk when a purchase from the Apple Store.
Thanks in advance Gilbert

You're going to have to re-install Mavericks as I told you in the previous reply. Go to the Mac App store and click on "Purchases". It's right there on the top menu.

Then click on "Download". After it downloads, look for the Mavericks Installer in your Applications folder. Click on install and follow instructions. If all this is confusing, take your Mac to the Apple store where you purchased it and have them reinstall Mavericks for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erase your old Mail program first and then reinstall Mavericks. Otherwise it will not install a new copy. Make sure you backup all your mail messages before erasing the mail program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.