Display dock on right side 2 monitors when screens are arranged above each other?

Reaction score
UPDATE: Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.

I have my TV above my desk at school and I connect my macbook to it and arrange the screens so that the big TV screen is above my laptop screen and I have my dock positioned on the right side and I want to be able to make it appear on my TV screen when it's being used as the "primary" monitor.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have my TV above my desk at school and I connect my macbook to it and arrange the screens so that the big TV screen is above my laptop screen and I have my dock positioned on the right side and I want to be able to make it appear on my TV screen when it's being used as the "primary" monitor.

Any ideas?

If you have an external monitor (TV) attached to your MacBook in extended desktop mode (not mirrored mode)...and you want to have the dock appear on your TV...then you need to make the TV the "primary" monitor. To do this:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Displays
- Arrangement tab

In the graphic that represents the physical arrangement of the two displays...drag the white bar above the one display (MacBook) to the other display (TV). Now the TV is the primary monitor...and the dock should appear on the TV.

This assumes you are running OS 10.8 or earlier on your MacBook.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Edit:

Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.

This is possible if you have the displays setup in "Mirroring" mode (both displays showing exactly the same thing).

- Nick

Reaction score
While it is possible to have the Dock on both monitors in Mavericks, it only works if the Dock is on the bottom of the screen.
Having it on the right or left wont work, it'll be on only one screen, the primary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.