Shared Folder (read-only) issue

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new here. So any help is greatly appreciated. A short background. I have used Mac personally for years. I work in a small 4 person where three of us have iMac's and one of us is on a Mac Air.

Our office computers are all networked, then backed up to an airport extreme.

For some reason when I add a folder to be shared from my computer to another user, that user can only open files as read-only. Under get info-> Permissions they are set as Read&Write allowed. Under system Preferences-> Sharing They also appear as read&write allowed under that folder. This is extremely frustrating as we cannot edit the same files with one another.

Anything I am missing? Please help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How are you sharing the files (AFP, SMB, FTP, NFS, etc.)? Different solutions are required for different protocols since they all do things a little differently.

By default, the file sharing features built into OS X default to both AFP and SMB. I think both might be very picky about usernames being exact (case sensitive). Have you tried accessing your files from another machine using your credentials?

OP
T
Reaction score
I have both AFP and SMB enabled.

I can login with my credentials at any other terminal and access my folders without getting the read-only message. However, this also opens up my entire computer to that other user.

I am going to check the case sensitivity, I have a feeling people may be putting their credentials in as lowercase. They still get access though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.