Upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Reaction score
According the the Apple website, I should be able to upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard (10.6.8). But after going through the process my iMac locks up and doesn't boot anymore. So I have to insert my Snow Leopard disc to return to the original state. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you find a solution?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According the the Apple website, I should be able to upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard (10.6.8). But after going through the process my iMac locks up and doesn't boot anymore. So I have to insert my Snow Leopard disc to return to the original state. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you find a solution?

Let us know the exact Mac model you have…so we can verify that it is able to run Mavericks.

Plus…it's very possible that your hard drive is full…because what you describe can be a result of a full HD. Let us know how full you HD is (gigs used and gigs free).

Finally…what process did you follow to install Mavericks?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
OK. I basically followed these instructions from the Apple site to:

Open the Mac App Store and click OS X Mavericks. Click the Download button. Then follow the onscreen instructions to install it. If you don’t have broadband access, you can visit any Apple Retail Store to get help with downloading.

Everything seemed OK until it came time to boot up in Mavericks. Got a gray screen with a few lines of type.

Here are some specifics on my machine:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

I have a 500GB drive with 204 GB available, so HD space is not an issue.
Thanks for your response.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you verify your hard drive with Disk Utility before attempting to install Mavericks again. The lockup could have been because of a hard drive problem. However, it could also be because it was not properly installed. You can boot with your Snow Leopard disk and use Disk Utility from the disk to verify and if necessary, repair the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.