Tracking Changes

Reaction score
Is it possible to go back and track the changes I have made to an Excel database say for the past week or two? I have a rather large database that I am constantly updating and I would now like to add those changes to a newer version of the same database. Or do I have to do a split screen and scan eack and every line to see any changes (some 19,000 lines)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
R
Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned that have Excel 2008 and when I just now found "Track Changes" it only offers to track my changes in color and I am supposing that it would only track the changes I make henseforth not changes I have already made, am I right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's right. As Lisa pointed out, the "Track Changes" option would have had to be turned on previously. In other words, unless you turned it on when you first edited the sheet, those changes will not be shown. It's the same for Office 2008 Excel as well as 2011 Excel.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I've got some work ahead.

While I have you here, the last time I used the split screen I could not remember how to sync the two so they move together, what is the command for this feature?

Thank you both for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I am understanding you correctly you want to split the screen and be able to scroll both at the same time in sync. In the 2011 version you click on the layout tab. On the right side of that ribbon is the Window section. In that section their are five buttons. You are looking for the button with the pop up that says: "Divide the current window into multiple resizable panes." Click that button and you should see a verticle and a horizontal gray bar appear on your spread sheet. You can grab the gray bars and it will allow you to resize the windows or move the bar off the spreadsheet if you don't want it. Once the bar is in place the scroll will sync automatically.

I hope this is clear. If not let me know and I will try to clarify.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Lisa,
I have 2008 Excel and I hit 'Windows' / 'Arrange' say 'horizontal' and I get my two databases in a split screen for mat. One is highlighted and that one scrolls, when I click on the other sheet, it is highlighted and scrolls but both are independent. There is/was a button to hit that would lock the two together and they would scroll at the same rate, so I can CK info from one to the other.

I just tried it but cannot find the magic button to lock them. And "grab" does nothing at all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I admit to being unfamiliar with 2008 so I have found a link that might help. Scroll to the bottom of the article and it talks about spitting the screen. It seems the process is different in 2008 as compared to 2011.

https://www.uwec.edu/help/excel07/ws-nav-m.htm

Hope this helps.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Lisa,

There is a difference between "Split Screen" and "Arrange" altho they do similar things. Split Chops the screen into smaller bites to give a close-up look at one section of a large file. While "Arrange" allows one to see two different files at the same time and compare one to the other. I have used "Arrange" many times to do this same procedure, but it has been (fortunately) several years since I did it last.

I looked at the URL you added but it dealt with "Split" and did not help. But I do thank you for the effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Lisa,

I took a look at the book you showed me and I think that it would be a good buy for me. I didn't know that anything like this existed and I think it wii do the job.

Thanks again for all your help and patience with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.