Macbook Pro 2007 wont boot up after shutting down

Reaction score
Hi guys

My first post on here and unfortunately its to ask for help in relation to a problem with my recently bought Macbook Pro 2007 A1226 running OSX mountain lion.

My problem started around 3 weeks ago. Each time the Mac goes to sleep or I shut it down it won't wake up properly. I just get a black screen, the front light comes on and I can hear the HD doing something, the battery lights at the back flash also. It then takes me 2-3 hours of messing about with it to get it back on. I try resetting cms and removing battery etc etc as stated elsewhere on the web. Eventually, it will come back on.

I have had no screen issues or HD issues, or any other running issues with it at all.

I have just read something about it being the PRAM battery?

Can anyone offer me any help with this

Thanks in advance

Mark

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first post on here and unfortunately its to ask for help in relation to a problem with my recently bought Macbook Pro 2007 A1226 running OSX mountain lion.

How recently purchased are we talking...and has it ever worked 100% since you had it?

My problem started around 3 weeks ago. Each time the Mac goes to sleep or I shut it down it won't wake up properly. I just get a black screen, the front light comes on...

Are you saying that once the computer has completely started up...all you have is a dark screen/display? If you take a flashlight & shine it on the display at an angle...can you see the desktop or open windows?

I have just read something about it being the PRAM battery?

If I understand the problem correctly...it's probably not the PRAM battery. PRAM battery just retains user preference settings, clock time, etc. It wouldn't effect problems with the display.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Purchased around two months ago, no it has been OK until 3 weeks ago. However, when I first bought it I had an issue with it forgetting the date/time etc a few times, but that seems to have gone away now.

Yes I just get completely black screen nothing at all even with a torch on it at any angle.

Sometimes an automated voice comes on saying something about text and login failed-very strange.

Could it be the battery? Its odd because I'm on it now and its working fine, display looks fine also.

I'm hoping its not the Nvidia issue

Thanks again

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Purchased around two months ago, no it has been OK until 3 weeks ago. However, when I first bought it I had an issue with it forgetting the date/time etc a few times, but that seems to have gone away now.

Yes I just get completely black screen nothing at all even with a torch on it at any angle.

Could it be the battery? Its odd because I'm on it now and its working fine, display looks fine also.

Intermittent problems like this can be a pain to figure out. You mentioned that there was a problem with the time...then it went way. And you said that sometimes the display is dark...but now it's working fine.

The display problem could be a bad video cable...which could explain the intermittent problem.

Intermittent problems can also be related to a liquid spill the computer may have experienced in the past. Sometimes this can be seen on the inside (rust or residue)...and sometimes not (depending on what was spilt & how much). Given that this is a used 7 year-old computer...anything is possible.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.