Clean PowerBook screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
I have this problem on my screen that I can't seem to get rid of. I have a piece of something stuck to my screen. Looks like dirt but I can't get it off. I have not tried to hard because I am worried that I may mess it up. I have read the forums and they suggest various cleaners. The problem I have is that I am stuck on the USS Roosevelt out in the Med and can't get to any of those cleaners. Any suggestions? Oh I have tried to use my finger nail carefully to pick it off, but haven't really bore down on it due to the fact that like I said I don't want to mess it up since I can't do anything if I do jack it up out here at sea. Thanks again for the help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like your only solution, is a moist soft cloth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use glass cleaner.. can you get any of that on your ship? If not then use a moist cloth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I had this problem before with my dell laptop... basically its perminant if it wont come off with a moist cloth... I also tried the finger nail thing too... I just ended up getting used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Alcohol, there must be some around in some first aid kit, also hydrogen peroxide. I'm pretty sure there must be something else there you can use, maybe something like Windex (ammoniun based cleanning products).
Most cleanning products for computers and electronics are based in alcohol so that would be my first and safest option. Hydrogen peroxide is also used in cleanning products as it can react at a deeper level, but it won't attack plastic. I have used Windex to clean the cover of my iBook, but never to clean the screen, also i'm not sure if the concentration in similar products is safe enouh for a laptop, it would be my last resource. Keep looking, is a big ship, someone must have something to help you.

EDIT: I wouldn't use nail polish remover, it has acetone wich can destroy plastics.

C

chrisb2999

I had the exact same thing on my powerbook screen when apple replaced my display on applecare. I could'nt get it out , i tried everything and so did the genius bar guy to no avail. Ended up just getting another brand new screen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
I think I can find some alcohol somewhere. I will try that. Will Apple replace the screen since I do have AppleCare, once I get back from deployment? Should I use a microfibre cloth with it? I have one for sunglasses.

J

jn4jenny

Be VERY careful with the alcohol; I've heard of folks using a 50/50 isopropyl and water solution to clean their Powerbook LCD's, but the LCD is made of plastic, and most of those alcohol-based products you see in stores are made for glass monitors. If you continue to use alcohol on the plastic LCD over time, you're risking some very sucky damage (like yellowing, turning the screen brittle and encouraging it to crack, clouding, etc.) Like I said, a lot of people do it and it probably won't hurt you to do it once or twice, but don't make it a habit.

The safest, although not the most effective, solution for cleaning your LCD is a vinegar and water solution. It smells funny, but at least you know you can get that on the ship.

Definitely use the microfiber cloth with whichever solution you go for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If you have a Microfiber cloth, use it. DO NOT use a washcloth (bad eperience with my PSP...).

R

Redbull

I use Monster iCleaner which I bought with my PB a year ago. Surprisingly does the job well and leaves a shiny new surface and LCD after.

S

steve zissou

i had that problem too! there was this little unkown fuzz thing on my screen about

here -->

anyway, i ended up just getting it off with my fingernail. i had to press kind of hard and the screen was odd colored for 2-3 weeks, but the discolorations gone now.
hope it helps

if your a soldier, good luck and thank you
if your a PC technician fixer person, then good luck, youre better off being a soldier
if your a janitor, cook, jester, captain person, or the thing that hangs in front of the ship like a mermaid or what not, then good luck and thank you also

steve zissou

MPW

Reaction score
If your a soldier, good luck and thank you
=========
Well they're probably not a soldier. (soldier = Army).
However, whatever you do thanks.

S

steve zissou

yes. well....gosh! USS Roosevelt. Sounds like it has guns, sounds like it has people that shoot the guns. therefore it sounds like it has soldiers in it. but yeah, thanks.

Steve zissou

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I work on the flight deck launching out the E-2 Hawkeye aircraft. I operate and maintain the Radar, IFF, Communications, and Navigation systems. Also the old *** computer inside the plane. Thanks again for all your help in this forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.