Mail Issues

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife has an issue with using Mail on my mac. She has a totalize account that was working fine. Suddenly she is unable to send emails. She can receive emails successfully. We have tried deleting everything and resetting everything, but nothing appears to work. She can send emails from the Totalise portal. I even tried setting up her totalize email on my mac and it works fine. We are getting an odd message that is implying that she is unable to connect to the Internet, but we know that this is not true as we can connect and we can send emails. We have tried changing all the settings and copying the settings that appear to work on my machine. Still nothing works. Totalise are unwilling to help as they say everything is working. My wife is on 10.5.8, I am on 10.9.2. We get a message cannot send message using the server mail.totalise.co.uk, even though this is the same server that works on my mac. We have tried changing all the configurable options including, ports, SSL, authentication, confirmed and checked server names and passwords.

This is very frustrating and taking up a lot of time. Any help or advise gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Has she got any issues with the firewall stopping outgoing connections? Also has she any anti-virus software on her mac that could be preventing it from sending?
Just a couple of ideas to look into

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Email Issues

Simon,

I did check firewall and it's off. She doesn't run any anti-virus software, so I am still scratching my head!

I have tried everything I know, every setting that there is and still no joy. It is just so odd that she can receive, but not send. The implication from the messages are that she is unable to connect to the totalise outgoing server. Yet it must be ok as I can send from my Mac and she can get into the portal......Garreth:\
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Undecided.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
What have you got set as the outgoing server?

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Mail Issue

Outgoing Mail server is:

mail.totalise.co.uk

we have also tried it with her user name appended with :

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
This hasn't started around time the Heartbleed bug appeared, by any chance? It is possible that, Totalise has implemented some protection, and inadvertently blocked older OS X / Mail from accessing its servers. You might want to try smtp.totalise.co.uk instead of mail.... it is pingable, so should work ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.