Problem with “smart quotation marks” in Word for Mac 2011, v. 14.0.0.

Reaction score
I'm working in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 v. 14.0.0, on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9.2.

Got a problem with the “smart quotation mark” at the beginning of a quote sometimes choosing to curl the wrong way (as if they it was at the end of the quote).

In other words, sometimes when I want “, Word gives me a ”.

Odd thing is, this only happens in SOME documents. In other documents, it all works exactly as it's supposed to.

I am not looking for a search-and-replace solution, after the fact; I want all smart quotation marks to curl the correct way automatically, as I type 'em.

What to do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've noticed the same thing and I use Word quite a bit to do all our work. I'm not sure what sets it off to not display the smart quotes vs the ordinary, however, it does appear at times to be generated by the style. And, I've got "smart quotes" set correctly in preferences.

You stated you're using Word 14.0.0. You do know that updates have been issued and Word is now at version 14.4.1? Make sure you update your copy since the last several updates involved security and macros.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yep, I've got smart quotes set correctly in preferences - and yet it just won't work.

Weirder still is that this happened on my previous version of Word, too - and that was Word 2004, a bit of software seven years older than what I'm currently using!

I was wondering if maybe it might have something to do with the fact that I keep switching between Swedish and Danish as my keyboard "input source." Specifically, that when I have it set to Swedish, it displays the smart quotes correctly -- but whenever I switch to Danish, Word starts acting up.

But upon further testing - no, that doesn't seem to be it...!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.