Mac Mini strong enough?

Reaction score
My 2006 iMac Intel dual core just died due to a power surge. I was using Vuze to download torrents and am wondering if the Mac Mini would handle that. Mainly would the i5 be ok or must I go for the i7 model?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Downloading uses little processing power. The application you use also won't tax the system all that much. What happened to your machine?

OP
W
Reaction score
Had a fuse replaced, didn't unplug, now it won't turn on. The white light flickers for about a second but that's it. No beep, no noise at all.

Re: my question, either will do ok?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible the logic board has been damaged (see here).

As for your question, downloading a file can be done on any Mac with ease.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks, my old comp was an iMac, but I agree it's done.

What specs should I be concerned with when looking at 5g + downloads? And is processing power mainly for doing more things at once? Forgive me if I sound brand new to computers!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Size of the download has nothing to do with this equation. The only things that matter are internet speed & bandwidth.

Processing speed and resources control how much you can do on your computer and how quickly it can get done. This might become a factor depending on what you're doing. In fact, processing power might be a factor in using what you're downloading. What is it that you're downloading and doing with your computer?

OP
W
Reaction score
Typically movies and music. I would say the 5g + is pretty rare. I think a good way to think about it, if my late 2006 iMac dual core could still perform well a 2014 Mac Mini would be just fine.

I honestly use my Note 2 for 95% of the time! iPad 3% and my iMac was for downloading. Want to replace but can't justify Mac prices for another iMac. The Mac mini seems to be perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.