Lost letter as I was writing it

Reaction score
Hi There,
Can someone tell me how to get a letter back that suddenly disappeared of my IPad retina screen as I touched the return bar

C

chas_m

As you type, the letter is saved in the "Drafts" folder. Unless you accidentally selected the text and then deleted it (the "delete" key being right above the return key), it should still be there as unsent.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you Chas_m.

I have looked all over and even got my daughter to try to find it as she has the IPad air, it has just vaporized into thin air. Very upsetting as this was a large and complicated medical diagnostic.
Many thanks anyway.
Stjarna.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A letter back from what application? It's very possible that the application that you're using has an autosave feature built-in.

Admin note: moved to iPad forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi There,
Can someone tell me how to get a letter back that suddenly disappeared of my IPad retina screen as I touched the return bar

Hello - which app were you using for writing the letter & which iOS do you have installed - might be helpful? Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Sorry am I am so blond �� I Don't even know what IOS is , but I was writing an email, a very complicated and long medical diagnostics , so was really peeved off when it disappeared , don't relish doing it all over again.

Something like this happened to me a year ago on my Mac laptop , while I was moving a letter to a folder, all my folders disappeared and have not been found so far even tho I took it to The Apple business Centre, they never found them either. They just evaporated into thin air in front of me, so did this letter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Open your email account and see if there is a box entitled "Drafts".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave, Sorry am I am so blond �� I Don't even know what IOS is , but I was writing an email, a very complicated and long medical diagnostics , so was really peeved off when it disappeared , don't relish doing it all over again.......

Hi again, iOS is simply the 'Operating System' that is on your iPad - simply go to 'Settings' > 'General' > 'About'; half way down look for 'Version', the current one is 7.1.1. Still not sure in which app you were typing your letter, e.g. as an Email, in Notes, in Pages, or in another application on your device? Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
My version on is 7.0.4 IPad Retina , I Was using the normal Email Google .com account.
Going into settings I saw that my Email address isn't on ICloud , thinking that my letter would be there somewhere ,so I did a ICloud one as well , but I am not sure if that helps in future if I am using a google account, I don't want to change my email address.
Stjarna.

C

chas_m

Ah, so now we've established that you weren't using Mail. Are you using a web browser to access Gmail by chance?

OP
S
Reaction score
I thought I was using mail or google .com for my mail, I will have to ask someone here the difference between Mail and my google.com address, will let you know tomorrow, thanks.
Stjarna.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I was using mail or google .com for my mail, I will have to ask someone here the difference between Mail and my google.com address, will let you know tomorrow, thanks.....

Hello again - the iPad has its own mail app called surprisingly Mail w/ an icon similar to the one attached; you need to setup an account(s) in the app. But as now suspected, you were likely in a web browser, such as Safari, and entered your Google account (Gmail) w/i the browser - correct? If so, then as has been already suggested, you'll have to login to that account and see if there is a 'Drafts' folder where your letter may be? Dave :)

Mail_Icon-150x150.png

C

chas_m

It could be that she IS using Mail, you can certainly add a Gmail account to Mail. One can also download and use the official Gmail app if one prefers, or as mentioned access it using Safari on the device.

We'll have to wait and see which one it turned out it was, but in the meantime checking the drafts folder on Gmail but using a Mac or PC to log into her Gmail account might turn up the missing letter to, it's worth checking on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.