Microsoft Word for iPad is actually very handy !!! Without a Subscription.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im in a Legal battle at the moment, and like most Corporates, still use Windows. I had my solicitor send me some Doc's to sign and then slow mail them back to her. I saved them to my Documents folder and proceeded to open them in Word for Mac.

Yea they looked OK, then as I scrolled through them, and then back to the top, the text (was highlighted over with a light grey) started to disappear in front of my eyes. I shut it down and opened it up again, and decided to print Straight away. Got the 10 pages and noticed 75% of the text missing.
So I tried the other Document, and the next and after 60 pages of Printing I tried to look into it more.

I had all the Fonts on my Mac, so that wasn't the problem, I had a look at them in the Print Preview and there was a lot of dotted lines making a block of black, where the text should be.
I though, oh no, it must be the printer, but thought back to the text in Word.
I opened them in pages. I printed off and all text was there, but some Boxes, and Checkmarks where not there (and I thought as much with the formatting difference between the 2 Apps, (but I must say, Pages is handling Word Documents so much better now than it did before the big overhaul)), so I tried in Open Office and Libre Office (and thats becoming a beautiful App now too> Will keep it on my Mac) but just quite not right.

I was running out of time to get these signed and sent, so I thought I would put them in OneDrive and open them in Word for iPad and see what happens.
Well blow me off a log with a straw, when I selected Print, they came out 100% Perfect. I mean not a Font/line/checkbox/heading/page/page number/ or Signature box was out of place. I quickly sent all the Doc's to OneDrive and opened them up in Word for iPad and printed them off, signed them with a witness and sent them to the Solicitor.

Its a long post, but honestly, even though you can only read in the Word for iPad, it will be staying put now and will use it every time I need to print off the a word document. So you don't need a subscription, and if you too are always getting Word for Windows Documents sent to you, and have a iPad then you will never have a problem with formatting and printing the **Exact** same document you received.

Microsoft has done something right, but has me befuddled why the difference between the Mac and Windows version and formatting ?!?!?!?! Hmmmmm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.