Deleting files and HD space goes down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I've been having a problem with my time capsule and backing up recently. I think the problem started when I restored the whole computer a few weeks ago. Now, I get an error that says that the backup failed when I try to initiate it and I got a message stating that it hadn't been backed up in 13 days. But, it says that it was last backed up, in the time machine menu, a few days ago and it has backups from a few hours ago.

I'm not sure how to fix this, but now I'm having a problem with the available space on my HDD. Before the problems, I had about 42gb free - I have a program called Free Space that tells me this. Now I'm down to about 20-30 and I didn't install anything. I just had some items in my trash, including a few movies and I had 27gb free. I emptied the trash and now I have 24.54. How is that possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

M

MacInWin

Look at Activity Monitor on the memory tab and see if Swap is anything above zero. Swap is HDD space used to temporarily hold memory items when memory gets tight. How much memory do you have installed? Oh, and what version of OSX?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Look at Activity Monitor on the memory tab and see if Swap is anything above zero. Swap is HDD space used to temporarily hold memory items when memory gets tight. How much memory do you have installed? Oh, and what version of OSX?

I don't see swap listed anywhere. I have the latest software version and the SSD is 120gb.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Launch Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder). Click on the "Memory" tab. The "Swap Used" will be at the bottom of the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.