How do I copy a mailbox folder to the desktop?

Reaction score
Running 10.7.5 on a late model iMac.

I don't want to backup the whole email folder, just one mailbox full of about 200 email. Tried drag/drop, no luck. Tried export, ended up with jibberish. Tried copy/paste, nada.

Can this be done?

Craig

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you select to export a mailbox, it exports in program format. In other words, for import into mail. That's why you couldn't read it the same as you would from within the program. You could export the mail as text but that would be too tedious to do with 200 messages.
Why don't you use Time Machine or another backup program to backup your mail?

OP
F
Reaction score
What's different about how time machine stores email? I know it would back up ALL my mail, but I only want one mailbox within.

The mail a project for the Smithsonian. I tried exporting as an mbox file, which is fine for today, but 50-100 years from now (to a future curator/historian) it will probably just be jibberish. That's why I'm hoping for another way to save these files. Thanks for the suggestions so far.... however, is there another way?

Thanks, all.

Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Your mail is stored in ~/Library/Mail/V2.

You should be able to see all your mailboxes in this directory if you drill down. The individual messages are stored with .emlx extensions, but they are actually in readable text, which is one of the main things I like about Mac mail.

You can easily copy messages and/or directories to your desktop-- just make sure you don't delete anything!

Hope this helps, and good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can easily copy messages and/or directories to your desktop-- just make sure you don't delete anything!

This is even more tedious than what I suggested above about exporting the mailbox messages to text. It would be easy to do either way with a few mail messages, but not with 200 messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
This is even more tedious than what I suggested above about exporting the mailbox messages to text. It would be easy to do either way with a few mail messages, but not with 200 messages.

If the mail messages are already stored within a mailbox folder in the Mac Mail program (e.g. kept in a mailbox called "Smithsonian_Mail"), it's a single file/folder that needs to be copied to the desktop. The user will recognize the name of the mailbox very clearly.

I've done this hundreds of times. No need to get out the flamethrower.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to be vicious.

LOL, are you in a bad mood today? No one is being vicious to you or anyone else. My understanding is that he wants the individual messages from the mailbox folder so that he can read them after the mailbox is exported. Anyway, I'll let the OP decide. We're through here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.