light the OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Uh-oh... I didn't read any FAQ and ran Monolingual. Got rid of pretty much every language in there except English, English (UK), and then decided to keep Japanese and German because maybe... maybe I'll learn them one day.

I have MS Office and Adobe Suites. :/ I'm going to go read the FAQ but its too late at this point. Oh well... if I have update issues, I'll cross that bridge in my MacTruck.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can speak to the fact that Monolingual screws with Office; once used, I was unable to update Office. The only way around that was to re-install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Uh-oh... I didn't read any FAQ and ran Monolingual. Got rid of pretty much every language in there except English, English (UK), and then decided to keep Japanese and German because maybe... maybe I'll learn them one day.

I have MS Office and Adobe Suites. :/ I'm going to go read the FAQ but its too late at this point. Oh well... if I have update issues, I'll cross that bridge in my MacTruck.

There isn't much point in keeping non-english .lproj folders as basically all they can do is put the menu items and apps and some OS X stuff and maybe some pdf and help files in that selected language.

PS: If you want to find any surplus .lproj folders you don't want, use Find Any File and do a search for them. But Do so very carefully!!! And they may be owned by syst or root which will need an admin user to override.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There isn't much point in keeping non-english .lproj folders as basically all they can do is put the menu items and apps and some OS X stuff and maybe some pdf and help files in that selected language.

I agree, but problem is that some programs will refuse to update if the non-English languages have been removed. MS Office for the Mac just happens to be one such program and is a real stinker to remove and reinstall.

That's why we highly recommend avoiding Monolingual or any other utility which purports to do the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least Monolingual unlike some others, warns the user about cleaning such stuff as MS and Adobe suites. At least for those that RTFM of FAQ. ;)

Those who want to save a good four GB+ from their boot drive may differ on your recommendations. That's a lot of expensive unnecessary drive space taken up, especially on an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And regarding tools ~ much better on an external or thumb drive. Partition is well and good, but what if the hard drive fails and the partition is unaccessible?

I run TechToolsPro and DiskWarrior from USB thumb drives. Only way with Apple making optical drives obsolete, thank goodness.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The desire to run tools is one of the reasons I started cloning my hard drive in the first place. Once the OS and tools would not fit on a DVD there wasn't much other choice. Besides it was much easier to update the clone than make a new disc every time there was an OS or tool update.

Even a relatively small hard drive will get the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Running Monolingual cleared out nearly 3gb. ?
That's on my work Mac that hasn't even remotely as many programs as my home Mac.
I'm expecting a solid 5-6gb on that one when I runs it. That makes me happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The desire to run tools is one of the reasons I started cloning my hard drive in the first place. Once the OS and tools would not fit on a DVD there wasn't much other choice. Besides it was much easier to update the clone than make a new disc every time there was an OS or tool update.

Even a relatively small hard drive will get the job done.

+1.
I used to do the same thing until I got tried of burning a new DVD each time it was required, then the price of external hard drives came tumbling down. What a relief and nice change that was. And much faster as well for booting etc. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, but problem is that some programs will refuse to update if the non-English languages have been removed. MS Office for the Mac just happens to be one such program and is a real stinker to remove and reinstall.

That's why we highly recommend avoiding Monolingual or any other utility which purports to do the same thing.

I only came across a single incident when a client had cleaned his Mac with some "cleaning" utility and his MS Office '08 wouldn't run or complete any update, but still worked fine. But just a simple MS Office '08 reinstall fixed the problem. Nice and simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why more than once? :|

I have a computer I rarely use... It mainly plays movies. The wifi and bluetooth don't work. At any rate, I test things on it before doing it on my main squeeze. I break it all the time doing this and that and then reformat/reinstall.

I no longer DG on any computer though. I basically played with every function DG had and threw caution to the wind because that comp is my guinea pig.

I've messed it up using command line more than a few times but it is great because I'm not messing with anything that matters. ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.