Queueing text-messages

Reaction score
Using my iPhone 3GS (IOS 6.1.6). if I try to send a text-message when there is not enough signal, the message is not queued for dispatch, it simply sits there with the 'Not sent'-symbol.

When my wife does the same thing using her Sony Experia, the message is queued until there is enough signal, when it is sent automatically, and a tick next to it in the display shows that it has been successfully dispatched.

Can I set my iPhone to do this ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you look on the right of the message there should be a icon, and its just a matter of tapping that and re-send. There isn't a way to queue per say but you can resend when in service area.

OP
P
Reaction score
"There isn't a way to queue per say but you can resend when in service area." That really is my complaint, but thank you anyway. I am thinking more and more about an LG G2...

OP
P
Reaction score
We live in a part of England where the signal is intermittent, and my main use for the iPhone is text-messages. This design-fault is therefore a considerable irritant -- it may oblige me, if I want to send a text-message, to keep my iPhone constantly to hand, waking it a number of times, until after perhaps 7 or more minutes there is enough signal to dispatch the message.

If it were not for the incomparable Genius Bar and other Apple support, I doubt whether an iPhone would be my choice.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
We live in a part of England where the signal is intermittent, and my main use for the iPhone is text-messages

Perhaps, the solution has more to do with your network of choice, rather than type of a handset? I know I wouldn't accept a simple texting being delayed, unless it's a train going into a tunnel or suchlike ... Even out here in the sticks, I can get at least two networks with excellent signal :\ Since most now offer free PAYG cards, it might be a good idea to get a few and did some comparison? For a model as old as 3GS, if not already unlocked, it should be free too - just ask your original network.

OP
P
Reaction score
We live in east Wiltshire. I have tried 3 networks, with all of which the signal is intermittent, though some perform markedly better than others.

I rate the quality of signal given by these networks as follows:

O2 8 out of 10
Orange 5 out of 10
Vodafone 1 out of 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
We live in east Wiltshire.

I just looked at coverage on three.co.uk and it is indeed terrible: 3G-4G coverage - of course, you'll get more detailed picture with full postcode, so worth checking. If they do cover your area well, they have an excellent low-cost contract: £6.90 pm gives you: 200 min + 300min between same network, 500MB, 5,000 texts ... certainly more texts than I ever use ... in a year ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I wouldn't have thought there were any such places in England left that had really poor 3G signal, that's pretty astonishing to hear.

You have obviously never tried to get a signal in East or North Yorkshire!

OP
P
Reaction score
I just looked at coverage on three.co.uk and it is indeed terrible: 3G-4G coverage - of course, you'll get more detailed picture with full postcode, so worth checking.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have found the give-us-your-postcode-and-we-shall-show-you-the-coverage websites to be completely useless. Vodafone is often showing as having strong coverage here, whereas my experience -- and that of other local people -- is distinctly to the contrary.

C

chas_m

Is anything known about this application ? If I were to make use of it, I should need to buy an iPhone 5, I think.

My wife has used IM+ for years, not for the specific purpose we're discussing here but as a general program for text chatting to people on various IM networks, and it has worked fine.

The latest version does appear to only support iOS 6 and later, so it should work on your machine.

C

chas_m

After looking into it, it appears you need to have Skype credits to send SMS messages using IM+ (you could just use Skype directly for this, but I don't think they have message queuing). Skype credits for SMS are purchased directly from Skype.

You may want to look around the App Store and see if there is some other app that will let you do what you want more simply, perhaps WhatsApp or one of the other SMS texting apps.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have looked also at Whats App, and it seems that with both applications -- and I dare say with other similar applications -- there is an invitation-system, so that, for the application to work as it ought, both parties must use the application.

I have enabled iMessage, as about 2/3rds of my text-messages are to iPhone-users.. That has certainly relieved the situation in relation to them, and I think that I can struggle on with the others without making further changes.

Thank you for your unstinted help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.