Managing many contacts - address book alternative

Reaction score
Hello,

i'm searching for apple address book alternatives to manage my contacts including the individual memo fields from the contacts on several Macs with OS X.

At the moment i have about 14.000 Contacts(in 2 years it will be probably 20.000) and 200 Groups in my Address Book, which is synchronized on 4 macintosh computers, 1 ipad and 1 iphone. In the past few month i encountered more and more problems with address book on my Macs(Mountain Lion and Mavericks) like really slow searching, temporary freezed app(rotating beachball), vanishing groups and unreliable or heavily delayed synchronisation.

Is there an alternative for reliably synchronising contacts under the following conditions...

- Good protection against accidently moving, deleting or changing records. This is VERY important for me, the actual protection- and recovery-functions in address book are a joke!

- A fast (realtime-)search where i can see the results and can choose a record from a short list of similar names at any time of the search process

- Groups and soubgroups to organize the contacts

- some kind of email integration, where we can select contacts and communicate with them via IMAP

- export of a whole maingroup, which contains x subgroups and in each subgroup there are n contacts. Finally we want to export n contacts of x groups to one csv list in one step

- the crowning glory would be iOS address book integration, so i can look at the contacts from my iPad. But this condition is not mandatory, the really important devices are my MacBooks and iMacs.

I am quite prepared to pay for a good solution, but my problem is, that i find not enough information how all the hosted exchange solutions, CRM-Systems, what ever...will fit to my special needs?

I hope here are some people who are experts in this field and do not just sell their own product. Any independent advice is apreciated.

Thanks for reading and best regards...
LuckyB

Reaction score
Hello,

i'm searching for apple address book alternatives to manage my contacts including the individual memo fields from the contacts on several Macs with OS X.

At the moment i have about 14.000 Contacts(in 2 years it will be probably 20.000) and 200 Groups in my Address Book, which is synchronized on 4 macintosh computers, 1 ipad and 1 iphone. In the past few month i encountered more and more problems with address book on my Macs(Mountain Lion and Mavericks) like really slow searching, temporary freezed app(rotating beachball), vanishing groups and unreliable or heavily delayed synchronisation.

Is there an alternative for reliably synchronising contacts under the following conditions...

- Good protection against accidently moving, deleting or changing records. This is VERY important for me, the actual protection- and recovery-functions in address book are a joke!

- A fast (realtime-)search where i can see the results and can choose a record from a short list of similar names at any time of the search process

- Groups and soubgroups to organize the contacts

- some kind of email integration, where we can select contacts and communicate with them via IMAP

- export of a whole maingroup, which contains x subgroups and in each subgroup there are n contacts. Finally we want to export n contacts of x groups to one csv list in one step

- the crowning glory would be iOS address book integration, so i can look at the contacts from my iPad. But this condition is not mandatory, the really important devices are my MacBooks and iMacs.

I am quite prepared to pay for a good solution, but my problem is, that i find not enough information how all the hosted exchange solutions, CRM-Systems, what ever...will fit to my special needs?

I hope here are some people who are experts in this field and do not just sell their own product. Any independent advice is apreciated.

Thanks for reading and best regards...
LuckyB

Did you ever find a solution? Im in a simliar spot. I have roughly 8k (because of work) and have grown tired of opening our native contacts app and watch my cpu spike, addressbook freeze etc. It's essentially useless unless they're all on your mac locally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.