Mac Pro 1,1 HDMI audio

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running on Mavericks with an updated graphics card, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB. The mac runs fine on mavericks with the graphics card. I also have Windows 7 Ultimate installed.
My question is this...

I use a TV screen as the main monitor for this computer and when using the Mac Pro on Windows, I have realised I'm able to get audio to come through the TV connected via HMDI.
However, when using the Mac on OS X it's not able to use HDMI audio. I've looked online to this and it says that pre 2010 Macs don't support this feature, but my Pro does on Windows? Can I get it to work on OS X as well?
Thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only a guess - never had a Mac Pro - Have you checked in Sound preferences and selected the appropriate output?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is running Mavericks it is not a Mac Pro 1.1 unless you have turned it into a complete Hackintosh as they are 32bit EFI.

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
It is running Mavericks using the guide by Tiamo, which is just a change in the Boot.efi file.
But either way, it runs Windows 7 64bit too as these Mac Pros were able to run 64bit OS just that the bios or something was 32 bit only..
But seeing as the audio does come through on the TV in Windows, do you think it's just something that needs to be installed/changed on OS X side? I spoke to someone and they mentioned flashing the graphics card?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How exactly did you have the HDMI cable connected to the Mac Pro? I had a 1.1 and to get the audio into the TV I had to resort to using an optical cable. There was no direct HDMI connection on that model Mac so the option was either a connection from the speaker out to the TV or a direct connection from the optical out to either a stereo or tv that can handle optical input.

OP
K
Reaction score
How exactly did you have the HDMI cable connected to the Mac Pro? I had a 1.1 and to get the audio into the TV I had to resort to using an optical cable. There was no direct HDMI connection on that model Mac so the option was either a connection from the speaker out to the TV or a direct connection from the optical out to either a stereo or tv that can handle optical input.

As I stated, I upgraded the graphics card to a 5770 and it has HMDI connections :)

Reaction score
HDMI and TV

Hello. I also have a 1.1 MacPro and an HD5770. When I connect it to my Panasonic 42" TV (through a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter) the Mac recognize the HDMI connection and also display Panasonic into the Display control but no picture appears.
How did you connect your TV? What adapter did you use?

thanks
Gianni

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.