Advise needed for noobie

Reaction score
I'm researching the new 15 MBPR and would like your advise, which model should I buy? I will be using my MBPR for mostly pic editing, website production and work application - ms office stuff. I'm not currently in film apps but may become interested in it as a hobby, as well as music apps. Any advise would be helpful!

I'm currently looking at MBPR 15 in. My main uses are photo editing, ms office items for work, website production. I may think about video work in the future, but nothing now. In addition should I even bother with bootcamp or parallels? Aperture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
please consider a Mac Pro or iMac
more processing power

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm researching the new 15 MBPR and would like your advise, which model should I buy?

There are only two stock configurations of the rMBP…with the more expensive one being $600 more. If you can afford the more expensive one…get it. It has a faster cpu, double the ram, double the storage, and more graphics power.

If your budget does not allow for purchasing of the more expensive one…then get the less expensive model. Easy…only two models to choose from.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
C

chas_m

A new MacBook Pro (with or without Retina display) should suit your immediate and future needs easily. I'm assuming you feel you need a portable for mobility, otherwise I would be inclined to suggest an iMac as disturbed13 did.

Our general advice on these things is to buy the best you can afford. With Retina MBPs, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you max out the RAM and pick a storage capacity you can live with for a long time, as upgrading those components is either not possible or a complete PITA. If you're going to get serious in photography or video in future I would encourage you to go for the higher-end model that has the discreet video card.

OTOH, if you think your needs will be on the lighter side for the next three years or so, it might be wiser to save money on the cheaper model now (I'd still max out the RAM however) and PLAN to buy another one in 2016 or 2017. If you get AppleCare with whatever you purchase, it will increase the resale value if you decide to "trade up" to a newer model in 2016, and you'll probably get 60-80 percent of what you paid for this one. I've done that in the past and the modest difference in price was more than worth it to me as a "rental" fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
i was taking into consideration that video editing can get really processing heavy, and if hes heading down that path (or considering it) there is no upgradeing the CPU on any Mac

C

chas_m

Whole feature-length Hollywood movies have been edited on a MacBook Pro of some years back, so why you would think this wouldn't be possible on a modern one I have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in my area i see more iMacs for video editing, just going by what ive seen. screen real-estate would be more helpful as well

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's where an external monitor can come in handy, something that many of us make use of.

If this is a question of portability, the answer is quite simple - buy a notebook if you need to move, a desktop if you don't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.