Can't get past grey screen at start up (Late 2008 MBP)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a late 2008, 15inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz, with 4 GB DDR3 RAM, running Mavericks 10.9.2

Symptoms
my problems started after finally upgrading to Mavericks 2-3 months ago. Upon restarting after the install I could only get to the grey/white screen, then it would either freeze, or restart (with a 'your computer was started because of an error' screen). This would go in a cycle half a dozen or so times before eventually starting up, and everything would then work as usual. Now however, it will not start up. It will boot up in Safe Mode every time.

What I have tried
SMC Reset
NVRAM/PRAM reset
Have taken out additionally purchased RAM and tried booting without it
Tried booting without any peripherals plugged in
Repaired Disk with Disk Utility
Run Cleaning and Maintenance software with Onyx
Erased disk (after backing up of course) and tried clean install of OS X from USB (the DVD drive failed some time ago and as such I cannot boot from disc, nor can I conduct a Hardware Test.

If I boot into verbose mode (CMD+V), I have noticed the line;
bootcachecontrol unable to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist
The readout doesn't end at that point, it carries on for another screen or so, but I spotted it in there.

I haven taken my machine to an Apple Certified retailer/repair outlet (there is no Apple Store near me anymore), at first they said they couldn't find the problem, then told me the hard drive had failed, which I'm pretty sure is not the case. The error message screen implies my problems may be due to kernel panics, which I don't really understand quite honestly.

I have spent a lot of time researching these issues on the internet and have come across many cases that are similar and have tried all the suggested fixes. The solutions in the cases that have been resolved have not worked for me either unfortunately.

I think that's everything. If anyone can help or has any suggestions for things I may not have tried, I'd be very grateful. I can provide a recent Crash Report if necessary.

Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that's everything. If anyone can help or has any suggestions for things I may not have tried, I'd be very grateful. I can provide a recent Crash Report if necessary.

Two ideas:

1. Try booting the computer from the recovery partition (command r). See if this is successful. If so...run Disk Utility's "repair disk" option. Then try rebooting the computer normally.
2. Try booting the computer from an external HD with a bootable OS on it.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey Nick, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Two ideas:

1. Try booting the computer from the recovery partition (command r). See if this is successful. If so...run Disk Utility's "repair disk" option. Then try rebooting the computer normally.

- Nick

Have just tried this, no change, pretty sure I have tried this in the past also.

2. Try booting the computer from an external HD with a bootable OS on it.

- Nick

I can try this, I have booted from a flash drive previously, is this not the same thing?

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can try this, I have booted from a flash drive previously, is this not the same thing?

Pretty much. If you can boot from it...you will at least know if the computer hardware is fine (other than the internal HD).

- Nick

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.