My Mac OS is slow! Plz Help!!

Reaction score
I have accidentally spilt water in my MacBooks pro a month back... But after a week the laptop recovered itself. There are few issues like it was very slow, unable to play video and unable to use google chrome.. I suspected graphics card got damaged and so it's causing all the problems... I had also installed windows, which was working fine with no issues... Everything is perfect in windows.. So I guessed the OS had been crashed and used Recovery to reset the OS to factory settings. Now it works very fine... Not slower. But still has the video issue.... Neither VLC not Quickplay can't play a 720p or 1080p video.... and google chrome is still very slow..... But the rest of the operations are really good... Plz, help me resolve this issue....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
A
Reaction score
That's helpful Nick

Thank you nick!!! That post is really helpful... But I still have a doubt.... I have both Mac and windows installed in my macbook pro.... The video plays fine in windows but not in MAC. Similarly chrome!!! After the damage... windows works fine as usual but Mac does not... Is there any reason behind it???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you nick!!! That post is really helpful... But I still have a doubt.... I have both Mac and windows installed in my macbook pro.... The video plays fine in windows but not in MAC. Similarly chrome!!! After the damage... windows works fine as usual but Mac does not... Is there any reason behind it???

I know that it is confusing...I would find it confusing as well. But if the computer worked 100% fine before the liquid spill...and not 100% fine after the liquid spill...then logically the liquid spill damaged something.

And almost always...liquid spills damage hardware not software. I would say "Always damage hardware only"...but I'm allowing for a 0.00001% chance that some sort of software damage could occur when a liquid spill has occurred. Looking at it from from the other point of view...there's a 99.99999% chance the damage is hardware related.

And I should mention...that in rare cases when a liquid spill has occurred...it is possible that no hardware is damaged. But this is not very common. And in this case...there are no issues at all.

Of course the statistics are not exact;)...but you get the idea what I'm trying to say...very very rare that it's not hardware related.

If you wanted to test things further (thinking that it could be a software issue). Boot the computer from an external hard drive with a bootable OS on it. If this works fine...then it should mean that the computers hardware is fine (except for maybe for the internal hard drive).

Maybe try booting from the Recovery Partition as well (command r)...if the computer has OS 10.7 or higher installed. And doing a disk repair.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...I will say...the liquid spill could have caused some sort of internal electrical surge, or spike, or something electrical related. And this could have caused some sort of OS/software issue on the HD. And I'm thinking that if Disk Utility's "repair disk" option doesn't fix things...then the Mac OS may need to be installed.

But...if you do the external hard drive boot test I mentioned above...this will help identify if the problem is internal HD related.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.