Upgrading from OSX 6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBP 16 (64GB, 1T HD) OS Big Sur, iPhone 11Pro, Watch 6, Apple TV
I am your very 'basic' Mac user, so forgive me if I don't sound too tech savvy. :Grimmace:

I have a 2011 Mac Book Pro. It has the original Snow Leopard on it, and currently OSX 6.8.

I was trying to update a Garmin device recently, and was told I need to upgrade to 7.0 or greater in order to get any further updates. To be honest, I've never had one single problem with my laptop, and I cringe at the thought of messing with the OS. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now for the dumb questions:

How far forward should I upgrade? Just 7.0 or higher? I have no idea of the best way to go about this.

Any help here will be appreciated. If I need to provide more info, I can do that.

D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How far forward should I upgrade? Just 7.0 or higher? I have no idea of the best way to go about this.

Probably the most important thing to consider when upgrading a computers OS is...will any software or hardware you currently use become non-compatible with the upgraded OS. AND...the further you upgrade the OS...the greater the chance that some software (apps) or hardware will no longer work.

So if you currently have 10.6.8 installed...and the most current Mac OS version is 10.9.2...if you go all the way to 10.9.2 you could have some issues. I'm saying this "in a vacuum"...since I do not know your computing situation.

If you don't have any special apps installed (other than the Garmin)..and if you don't have other external hardware (other than the Garmin)...then upgrading to 10.9.2 could be trouble free.

Bottom line. If you have some apps installed (things that you may have purchased & installed)...then you need to check what versions of the Mac OS these app versions are compatible with. To do this...check this website:

Application compatibility table - RoaringApps

HTH,

- Nick

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply Nick.

Good information, and I will take a good look at any installed software and applications I have and check them through that link. I assume that if they are not compatible, it would just be a matter of downloading a compatible one (if available)? No external hardware I can think of except the Garmin and a printer.

Again, thank you! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good information, and I will take a good look at any installed software and applications I have and check them through that link. I assume that if they are not compatible, it would just be a matter of downloading a compatible one (if available)?

Yes…that's pretty much it. Of course if these are "pay-for" apps (not free)…then you have to pay for the newer version.;) And for folks that use expensive apps like Adobe Creative Suite…this can be expensive.

No external hardware I can think of except the Garmin and a printer.

That's good. Printers are a common external peripheral…and sometimes there can be issues. But many times (if the printer is not extremely old)…all that is needed is an updated driver. But you may have no problems at all. Just mentioning so you know.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And for example PowerPC applications will not run later than Snow Leopard. The most notable is Office 2004. Later 2008 and 2011 are written in Intel code so all good. Gon through the Application Folder and see what is PowerPC and if it can be updated.

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick! I'm pretty sure most of my stuff is either free or relatively inexpensive. So that shouldn't be an issue. I'm still working through that link you sent - amazing how much software and apps are out there!

Harry, I looked in my Apps folder and don't see anything called PowerPC. But I do have Office 2011, so I should be good! Thank you for that update!

Again, I appreciate your input :D

Dee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And for example PowerPC applications will not run later than Snow Leopard. The most notable is Office 2004.

I recently discovered that Microsoft tech support is no longer answering questions on 2004. So, since I couldn't seem to reinstall it after a clean install of OSX, I upgraded to 2011. It was inevitable anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.