ipad blanking off

Reaction score
Hi,

My ipad screen goes black with only the apple icon showing every so often. When it does this there is nothing i can do. Eventually it just comes back on its own but eventually after a couple of hours it repeats this process

Can any one help

C

chas_m

Might be time to actually power down the iPad and then turn it on again. Not put it to sleep, actually power it down.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hold down the power button until the 'slide to power off' button appears.

OP
J
Reaction score
not fixed

I powered down the ipad and still happening.

Now I am noticing that when it goes to the black screen with the white apple logo, this then blanks off to a totally black screen for a while then the blank screen with Apple logo returns again.
This happens for a few minutes and then the screen is back to normal and I can use it until it begins this cycle again.

What else can i try. It is making using my Ipad annoying. Could it be a program causing this or is it some inherent software problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your iPad still covered by warranty? It sounds like a hardware problem not software. It might be time to take it to your local Apple store genius bar and let them look at it.

C

chas_m

What's happening: your iPad is rebooting.

Why: very hard to say. Could be a hardware fault. Is there any pattern as to why or when this happens?

Does it feel very warm (as in VERY warm) when this happens? Is it in a case that would prevent heat from being dissipated? Did it just start doing this?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Chas,

There is no pattern. As of now that is all that it is doing just rebooting only. The only pattern is that it would have worked only for about 30 mins to and hour max.

No it does not feel warm at all. Very cool to the touch almost cold.

Yes it just started doing that about a month now. It did not fall or bounce or anything

One question do they still sell Ipad 2 or only from 3 up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One question do they still sell Ipad 2 or only from 3 up?

Yes, you can still buy an iPad 2, 3, or 4 from Apple dealers if they have them available in stock. You might also be able to find one used but of course like anything else used, make sure it's 100% working and in good condition before you buy.

C

chas_m

If your eyesight is good, I'd strongly recommend an iPad mini. Cheap and AMAZING.

Reaction score
if it fades and goes back to the logo that means a kernel panic, typically (the core system stuff basically crashed). iOS has logs under Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage (near the bottom).

My daughter's iPad Mini started doing that, and Apple replaced it under warranty.

OP
J
Reaction score
options

I have a question. My Samsung phone fell and I was able to purchase a screen and digitizer assembly; transfer my mother board, camera, antenna etc to this new assembly and it works fine.

Does such a thing exist for the Ipad where you can transfer the parts from the old to a new shell and get it to work?

C

chas_m

As long as the generation is compatible, I would assume the answer would be yes, BUT sourcing the parts plus doing the work would likely save very little over just getting another one (unless your time is not valuable, of course).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.