What to do with a 1286 Macbook Pro after liquid spill

Reaction score
Hey all,
So... I scored a MacBook Pro that has spill damage, all for free. It still starts up, and just doesn't show a screen. I can hear it running like normally (I think) when I start it up.

Long story short, I at first was told to look at it, to see if I could fix it (without knowing it was not working because of a liquid spill). So I pressed the power button and it did stuff, like I explained above. Then I was told it was caused by a liquid spill, of "Lemonade".

I have successfully been able to swap a logic board for a Powerbook G4 before, but I have never fixed a liquid spill for a unibody Macbook Pro (model A1286).

So, should I send this to an expert? (KT Electronics : Home of Apple Repairs and major brand electronic repairs), or try to fix it myself?. I know Apple will charge around $700 for a liquid spill repair. Then there is LiquidSpill.com for around $900ish with a 1-year warranty. KT electronics is around $250, and 0$ if they can't fix it. I am also finding out from Powerbook Medic how much they would repair it for, as they are in Canada (meaning cheaper shipping, and faster shipping).

I am located in Canada. Should I go with KT electronics?. Thanks in advance for any tips.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're going to need to know what year this MacBook Pro is? We know it's a 15" model but could be 2008, 2009, or 2010. All three years show as model A1286. If you don't know the year, find the serial number and go here to find out the particulars and then let us know.

OP
A
Reaction score
We're going to need to know what year this MacBook Pro is? We know it's a 15" model but could be 2008, 2009, or 2010. All three years show as model A1286. If you don't know the year, find the serial number and go here to find out the particulars and then let us know.

Thanks for that link, I thought only Apple could provide me that link. I did not know this about this machine until I used that link, so here is the information I was provided:

Model: - MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009)
Codename: - No codename assigned.
Build Country: - This unit was built in Changhai, China.
Build Year: - This unit was built in 2009.
Build Week - Your Mac was built in week 40 of that year (September).
Production Nr.: - This unit was number 1362 to be built that week.

Processor Memory
Processor speed: - 2.53 GHz
Processor Type: - Intel Core 2 Duo (Penryn)
Number of Cores: - 2
Bus Speed: - 1066 MHz
Cache: - 3 MB L2 cache
64-bit Support: - Yes
Turbo Boost: - No

Installed RAM: - 4 GB (2x2GB)
Max. Amount: - 8.0 GB
Amount of Slots: - 2
RAM Speed: - 1066 MHz
RAM Type: - PC3-8500, DDR3, SO-DIMM

Storage and Media Graphics
Hard Drive: - 250 GB, 5400 rpm.
Hard Drive Brand: - Fujitsu
Drive Bus: - Serial-ATA
Optical Drive: - This unit has an 8x SuperDrive built in.
Optical Bus: - Serial-ATA
Other Media: - -

Display Size: - 15.4-inch
Graphics Card: - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Card Memory: - 256 MB
Max. Resolution: - 1440 x 900
BLU / Coating: - LED TFT, Glossy.

Networking Ports and Expansion
AirPort: - Built-in Airport Extreme (802.11 a/b/g/n).
Ethernet: - 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45)
Bluetooth: - Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.
Infrared: - For use with Apple Remote only.
Modem: - Optional Apple USB Modem.

USB: - 2 ports (USB 2.0)
FireWire: - 1 port (FW800).
Display port: - Mini DisplayPort.
Card Slot: - SD Card Slot.
Thunderbolt: - No

Operating System and Software Temperature and Cooling
Original OS: - 10.5.7 Leopard.
Maximum OS: - Latest release of Mac OS X
Recommended OS: - Latest release of Mac OS X
iLife Supported: - iLife '11

Fans: - 2
Speeds: - -
Exhaust: - Backside.
Intake: - Backside.

Power Size and Weight
Usage: - 100 - 240V AC
Adapter: - 60W or 85W MagSafe
Battery: - 73 Watt-hour Lithium Polymer
Battery Life: - Up to 7 hours.
Battery Cycles: - 1000 until consumed
User Replaceable: - No.

Height: - 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
Width: - 14.35 inches (36.5 cm)
Depth: - 9.82 inches (24.9 cm)
Weight: - 5.5 pounds (2.49 kg)

Audio Misc information
Speakers: - Stereo speakers
Microphone: - Omnidirectional microphone
Line In: - Minijack (digital/analog) 24 bit stereo
Line Out: - Headphone minijack (digital/analog) 24 bit stereo

Model ID: - MacBookPro 5,4
Model Nr: -
Order Nr.: - (MC118LL/A)
Webcam: - Built-in iSight

Misc information Repair and Support
Introduction: - June 2009
Discontinued: - April 2010
Diagnostics: - Apple Service Diagnostic 3S132
New Price (base): - Coming Soon

Support Status: - Supported
Apple Programs: - Check here to see if your unit is eligible.
Warranty: - Check warranty status here

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's the full stats on the machine. Being it's a Mid 2009 model with shared graphics memory (nVidia GeForce 9400M) it's not a machine suitable for gaming that relies on speedy graphics. However, it's still a very useable machine for every day computing, getting on the web, MS Office, etc. It can also run the latest version of OS X (Mavericks 10.9.X).

The problem is going to be the cost of replacing the logic board which very likely has been damaged from the spill. There may be other problems that are not visible until you get the machine to boot up. If you're capable of doing the repairs yourself, you can probably pick up a refurbished or used logic board on eBay or from some other supplier. Step by step instructions including pictorials for doing repairs can be found on iFixit: The free repair manual - iFixit.

There are numerous web suppliers of parts for Apple computers so you should not have a problem obtaining them. The biggest drawback to restoring that machine is cost. So that's something you'll need to consider first.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, that's the full stats on the machine. Being it's a Mid 2009 model with shared graphics memory (nVidia GeForce 9400M) it's not a machine suitable for gaming that relies on speedy graphics. However, it's still a very useable machine for every day computing, getting on the web, MS Office, etc. It can also run the latest version of OS X (Mavericks 10.9.X).

The problem is going to be the cost of replacing the logic board which very likely has been damaged from the spill. There may be other problems that are not visible until you get the machine to boot up. If you're capable of doing the repairs yourself, you can probably pick up a refurbished or used logic board on eBay or from some other supplier. Step by step instructions including pictorials for doing repairs can be found on iFixit: The free repair manual - iFixit.

There are numerous web suppliers of parts for Apple computers so you should not have a problem obtaining them. The biggest drawback to restoring that machine is cost. So that's something you'll need to consider first.

Alright that's great to know. As it was free, I either will fix it then sell it, or keep it after fixing it. I do love macs so, if I can do this cheap then it'll be worth it.

Considering that the laptop still powers on, but shows no display, are you sure the logic board will no matter what have to be replaced?.

So far, I've contacted a few repair companies in Canada to get a price quote. But I guess I could try this myself with the guidance from you guys, it's just a matter of remembering which screws go back into where, and which parts to replace, and also a matter of cleaning. Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering that the laptop still powers on, but shows no display, are you sure the logic board will no matter what have to be replaced?.

Can't be 100% positive about replacing it, but based on all the other spills we've seen chances are very good that it probably will need to be replaced. Many of the others that had spills likewise powered on. But, you never can tell. Maybe you'll be lucky. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Can't be 100% positive about replacing it, but based on all the other spills we've seen chances are very good that it probably will need to be replaced. Many of the others that had spills likewise powered on. But, you never can tell. Maybe you'll be lucky. ;)

Someone has brought up the possibility of the connection to the display being loose. So, the display could actually be working but, just very dim. To check this I'd just turn off the lights, and power it on, see if there's a picture. But I'm afraid to even turn it on again, as this thing has not been dried out yet. Not sure how long ago the spill happened, but let's just say a confident estimation of a few weeks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Someone has brought up the possibility of the connection to the display being loose. So, the display could actually be working but, just very dim. To check this I'd just turn off the lights, and power it on, see if there's a picture. But I'm afraid to even turn it on again, as this thing has not been dried out yet. Not sure how long ago the spill happened, but let's just say a confident estimation of a few weeks.

The problem is the liquid spill...plain & simple. As far as the repair. You should double check what the current used value is for this computer (eBay) before investing any money into it. Sometimes/many times...the cost of repair can be so high...and a 100% working unit can be purchased for the same amount of money...or repair cost + some extra cash.

If there is a large difference between the current used value of a 100% working unit...and the repair costs...then it may be worth repairing. If the difference is small...then it is not worth repairing.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
The problem is the liquid spill...plain & simple. As far as the repair. You should double check what the current used value is for this computer (eBay) before investing any money into it. Sometimes/many times...the cost of repair can be so high...and a 100% working unit can be purchased for the same amount of money...or repair cost + some extra cash.

If there is a large difference between the current used value of a 100% working unit...and the repair costs...then it may be worth repairing. If the difference is small...then it is not worth repairing.

- Nick

Oh yeah, I know. I have already looked at MacBook Pro's and they kind of go for around $500ish from what I can see here:

macbook pro a1286 in Laptops & Netbooks | eBay

If it turns out the logic board is done, then it's definitely not worth it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it turns out the logic board is done, then it's definitely not worth it.

Many times it is with liquid spills...unfortunately.:( But on the positive side...I think you mentioned you got it for free.:)

If it turns out the laptop isn't worth repairing...you could always sell it on eBay as a parts computer...and make a few bucks. Just be fair & describe what's wrong with it...so the buyer isn't disappointed...and then wants their money back.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Many times it is with liquid spills...unfortunately.:( But on the positive side...I think you mentioned you got it for free.:)

If it turns out the laptop isn't worth repairing...you could always sell it on eBay as a parts computer...and make a few bucks. Just be fair & describe what's wrong with it...so the buyer isn't disappointed...and then wants their money back.

- Nick

Good news!, I finally got to do what I wanted to do. I hooked up the MBP to a Display Port to VGA adapter, and up to my 40" TV. Here is the result in the attachments.

So it went "BOOM" when it started up, and loaded everything, except I can only use the external monitor. I have a Mac certified repair shop about an hour drive away from where I am, or I can do this myself. All I think I'd have to do is clean some stuff out, and fix the display connector (trust me I know its more complicated than that). Is there a tutorial out for this?.

IMG_0582.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a tutorial out for this?.

Hey...that's great news!:)

Go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual - iFixit

Then go thru the process of identifying your exact computer model...then look at the list of repair procedures for the exact part you think that you need to replace. The procedures are very detailed (with lots of photos)...making it relatively easy for most folks.:)

Just be very careful working in there...there can be some very delicate wiring & connectors. If you don't have the proper tools (extra small screw drivers for example)...definitely get them.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey...that's great news!:)

Go to:

iFixit: The free repair manual - iFixit

Then go thru the process of identifying your exact computer model...then look at the list of repair procedures for the exact part you think that you need to replace. The procedures are very detailed (with lots of photos)...making it relatively easy for most folks.:)

Just be very careful working in there...there can be some very delicate wiring & connectors. If you don't have the proper tools (extra small screw drivers for example)...definitely get them.

Good luck,

- Nick

Awesome, thanks Nick. Though, I am stuck at this link:
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody 2.53 GHz Mid 2009 Repair - iFixit

Would it be the display assembly?.

If I got it opened up, what would I be looking for?. A damaged display assembly?. Or I am guessing a damaged wire that goes to the display.

I do have the proper tools, it's those weird star shaped screw drivers, I got those for the Powerbook G4 repair back in the day, so I still have them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be the display assembly?.

Since you feel that the issue is display related...of the procedures listed...I would review the:

- Display Assembly
- LCD
- Front Display Glass

If I got it opened up, what would I be looking for?. A damaged display assembly?. Or I am guessing a damaged wire that goes to the display.

It's really difficult to say. Each situation is different. Sometimes there's visible damage...and sometimes (many times) there isn't.

And you may not want to hear this...but it's possible that the logic board is damaged (partially damaged). The video hardware on the logic board for the built-in display may be damaged...but working fine for an external display (as you seem to be experiencing).

Since the issue seems to have been caused by a liquid spill...it is very possible that everything related to the display is fine...and we are back to square 1...which is the logic board is damaged/partially damaged.

I do have the proper tools, it's those weird star shaped screw drivers, I got those for the Powerbook G4 repair back in the day, so I still have them.

Great. Those are torx drivers...or torx bits if the screwdriver has interchangeable tips.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Since you feel that the issue is display related...of the procedures listed...I would review the:

- Display Assembly
- LCD
- Front Display Glass

It's really difficult to say. Each situation is different. Sometimes there's visible damage...and sometimes (many times) there isn't.

And you may not want to hear this...but it's possible that the logic board is damaged (partially damaged). The video hardware on the logic board for the built-in display may be damaged...but working fine for an external display (as you seem to be experiencing).

Since the issue seems to have been caused by a liquid spill...it is veryv possible that everything related to the display is fine...and we are back to square 1...whcih is the logic board is damaged/partially damaged.

Great. Those are torx drivers...or torx bits if the screwdriver has interchangeable tips.

- Nick

Alright, good to know. I am waiting on prices from local repair shops. If I get a decent quote, I might just go with it. But in the mean time, I am going to look at what the possibilities are, and I'm just going to leave it closed up for now. I might open it up later. If anyone else has any tips, drop a line in this thread. Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, good to know. I am waiting on prices from local repair shops. If I get a decent quote, I might just go with it. But in the mean time, I am going to look at what the possibilities are, and I'm just going to leave it closed up for now. I might open it up later. If anyone else has any tips, drop a line in this thread. Thank you.

For us DIY home computer repairers (and even for the Apple experts). Many times the repair process is about identifying the most likely part/parts that may be bad...then replacing them with known good parts.

If the part that is replaced fixes the problem...BAMM...that was it.:) If it doesn't fix the problem...BAMM...that wasn't it.:( And what can REALLY make things complex is...if two or more parts are bad at the same time!:Confused:

And of course...us DIY folks don't have a collection of these parts handy at our fingertips to "trial & error" with.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
For us DIY home computer repairers (and even for the Apple experts). Many times the repair process is about identifying the most likely part/parts that may be bad...then replacing them with known good parts.

If the part that is replaced fixes the problem...BAMM...that was it.:) If it doesn't fix the problem...BAMM...that wasn't it.:( And what can REALLY make things complex is...if two or more parts are bad at the same time!:Confused:

And of course...us DIY folks don't have a collection of these parts handy at our fingertips to "trial & error" with.

- Nick

Alright, I have noticed that in other threads, parts are easy to come by around here. So I just thought about simply getting a diagnostic from my local Apple repair shop, I remember bringing in an older MBP and it was only $40. Since I am not a professional in this kind of thing, I'm pretty confident they would be able to figure out exactly what needs replaced, and can give me a price on what the repairs would be. So if I decide it's not worth it, I only spent $40, and they will for sure put it all back together before giving it back to me if I decide not to go with expensive repairs. Good idea?, I think so.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I just thought about simply getting a diagnostic from my local Apple repair shop

...I'm pretty confident they would be able to figure out exactly what needs replaced, and can give me a price on what the repairs would be.

This is a reasonable plan of attack.:) But...like I mentioned above...the diagnostic tests sometimes only identify the "most likely" bad parts...sometimes the diagnostic test is wrong. Or the diagnostic test indicates multiple possible bad parts. So each part needs to be replaced one at a time...until the true bad part is found (assuming there aren't two or more bad parts).

This can mean the difference between a diagnostic test saying it's an inexpensive $30 part...and an expensive $400 logic board replacement. Sometimes there's some trial & error involved...and the guys at the repair shop won't know 100% until they actually get in there & start working.

Sorry for painting a worst case scenario. Just letting you know BEFORE you start spending money. It's just like getting an automobile repaired. You get a repair estimate for $150...and the final bill ends up being $800. Diagnostic tests can only provide so much info.

On the positive side...there really aren't that any parts inside of an Apple laptop computer...so the "trial & error" is usually not that complex. But many times the bad part is the logic board (since there are so few parts & the logic board controls so many things). So big repair bill.

I've answered literally hundreds of these questions/situations...and liquid spill issues rarely have 100% happy endings. But...in your case...at least the computer is working using an external display!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
This is a reasonable plan of attack.:) But...like I mentioned above...the diagnostic tests sometimes only identify the "most likely" bad parts...sometimes the diagnostic test is wrong. Or the diagnostic test indicates multiple possible bad parts. So each part needs to be replaced one at a time...until the true bad part is found (assuming there aren't two or more bad parts).

This can mean the difference between a diagnostic test saying it's an inexpensive $30 part...and an expensive $400 logic board replacement. Sometimes there's some trial & error involved...and the guys at the repair shop won't know 100% until they actually get in there & start working.

Sorry for painting a worst case scenario. Just letting you know BEFORE you start spending money. It's just like getting an automobile repaired. You get a repair estimate for $150...and the final bill ends up being $800. Diagnostic tests can only provide so much info.

On the positive side...there really aren't that any parts inside of an Apple laptop computer...so the "trial & error" is usually not that complex. But many times the bad part is the logic board (since there are so few parts & the logic board controls so many things). So big repair bill.

I've answered literally hundreds of these questions/situations...and liquid spill issues rarely have 100% happy endings. But...in your case...at least the computer is working using an external display!:)

- Nick

Alright, that's great to know Nick. I decided to open it up, only problem is that all of my weird computer screw drivers do not fit into the screws holding onto the battery, so I will be seeing if my step dad has the working screw drivers, but if not then I'm going to order the iFixit set if it's not too expensive.

After opening it up, which I only took off the bottom panel, I did notice some sticky spots, but it's not horrible. Once I get the right tools and am able to take the screws off, then take the battery out, I will hopefully be able to see more of it all. Hopefully it's all there and just waiting to be cleaned and what not.

I noticed Apple made it alot easier for us to open their laptops. The Powerbook G4 I had was so annoying to work with, I think I had to take off the keyboard to get inside. Even this MBP is easier than my 17" Dell laptop. Any ways, will update this thread on what I discover next.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

OP
A
Reaction score
So I know that you said that it could be a million different things gone wrong with this MBP, but my dad says that if I can not see the screen unless I put a flashlight up to the screen or at the back of the MBP against the Apple logo, and I can still see stuff (which that is the case), then he says it should be just the inverter. But I cannot find that part for my MBP currently on eBay or any where else, does anyone here have an inverter board for a mid 2009 MBP (working) 2.54ghz a1286?. It's a cheap part everywhere, and if I just try and replace that one part and everything works then great. If not, i only spent 50 bucks and replaced a part that doesn't need replacing later. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.