changing font in Mail

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone again for replying to this thread. I'm slowly figuring things out on Mavericks. I will try to stay with it for all of the benefits it offers.

Note: Here's my latest frustration. How do I adjust the font size in Mail? The Fonts & Colors tab in Mail Preferences isn't doing anything for font size inside messages or in the list of messages. I am not referring to the sidebar.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wanted to thank everyone again for replying to this thread. I'm slowly figuring things out on Mavericks. I will try to stay with it for all of the benefits it offers.

Note: Here's my latest frustration. How do I adjust the font size in Mail? The Fonts & Colors tab in Mail Preferences isn't doing anything for font size inside messages or in the list of messages. I am not referring to the sidebar.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the font on Received messages or messages you are composing? Or both if it applies! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you talking about the font on Received messages or messages you are composing? Or both if it applies! :D

I was able to finally use Font & Colors in Mail > Preferences to adjust the text in e-mail messages. Still can't enlarge the list of messages as they appear in the Mailboxes (under where it says "Sort by Date").

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That I am quite sure is not changeable. I am in 10.7 and even there I see no way so far to change the display font. Only in the messages unless I am missing something.

Are you sure you could change that in 10.6.8??

OP
M
Reaction score
No, I'm not at all sure. Perhaps I couldn't change it there either.

There's no Zoom function on Mail, is there?

Thanks for looking into it, Dennis.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a zoom up and down for the message size. I use it early in the AM when I first get up and still can not see well! :D

If you right click on the toolbar and on customize the toolbar, Drag the Icon set with the Two A's (Smaller and larger) into the toolbar where you want it and you have zoom.

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 8.33.16 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Brilliant, Dennis. It does not affect the list of messages in the mailboxes, but it enlarges the messages themselves. This is a big help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" Imac running 10.9
Hit command T and that will bring up the font window where you can make the changes you want to specific emails. If it's just to enlarge for viewing, use Command +.

You set the font style and colour for composing from within Mail Preferences, through the Font and Colors panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.