Lost admin PW

Reaction score
My mums got a new iMac 2013 OSX 10.8.5 with no disk slot. I'm trying to put some new software onto the Mac but my 81 year old mum can't remember the admin PW LMAO !! I've tried checking past threads but they keep coming up with "put the OSX Disc in and reboot etc". How do I get around this with the new iMac with no disc slot. I just want to re-do a new admin PW, anyone?

Otherwise I may as well throw the bloody thing out into the garden lol.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give one of these methods a try. It should work for 10.8.5 as well as 10.7.

BTW once you get things back up and running properly consider adding a second admin account to that Mac. Choose a password you will remember. This will give you a pathway to fixing things even if your mom can't remember her password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Better yet after you get things up and running for your Mother, just remove the log on password requirement. No one is going to run off with her new iMac or try to steal her data. I keep my iMac here at my home office without an access password to log on.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Ok thanks all I'll give that a go. It's strange not having a disc slot on the new Mac, my 5 year old 24" iMac has one.

Ok done it, many thanks.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.