Devices Not Showing Up in Finder

Reaction score
The G-Drive that I use for my Time Machine backup does not show up on the desktop or in the Finder window sidebar.

I Trashed the com.apple.finder.plist and relaunched the Finder and ReStarted, but it did not help.

Any ideas, gents.

My OS = 10.9.2.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Try selecting the drive (clicking on it) in the list on the left side of the window. Now make sure you are in the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. Directions here

OP
M
Reaction score
Try selecting the drive (clicking on it) in the list on the left side of the window. Now make sure you are in the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. Directions here

I did it. This is what I got:

"Disk Utility stopped repairing 'G-Drive mobile'

"Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt re-formatting the drive will resolve the problem, but if it doesn't cause you to lose any data you should go ahead and try anyway. Of course if there's data on there that you need, try to copy it off the drive first. That may not be possible if the drive won't mount. In that situation you probably will need a more robust utility to repair the drive and extract your data from it. The best at doing that is Disk Warrior 4 but is rather expensive at $99.

OP
M
Reaction score
I doubt re-formatting the drive will resolve the problem, but if it doesn't cause you to lose any data you should go ahead and try anyway. Of course if there's data on there that you need, try to copy it off the drive first. That may not be possible if the drive won't mount. In that situation you probably will need a more robust utility to repair the drive and extract your data from it. The best at doing that is Disk Warrior 4 but is rather expensive at $99.

All this happened after I updated to Mavericks.

Did Mavericks destroy my backup drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, Mavericks did not destroy your backup drive. The fact that it failed was probably coincidental. The drive may have been getting ready to fail anyway and the Time Machine backup you initiated probably put it over the top.

OP
M
Reaction score
@ chscag: Okay, then.

Thanks for helping me through this one. I have a 16 mb flash drive. I'll have to hand move some things over to that. Then, maybe get another G-Drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you check the warranty on your G drive. According to their web site and support data, their drives are warranted for 3 years. Get in touch with support and ask for a RMA for the drive. If the drive has failed and still in warranty, they'll send you another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.