iMac display turning sepia tone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPads
My iMac display [2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 21.5-inch, Mid 2011, OS X 10.7.5] turns a sepia tone by itself after several hours of use.

When I wake the computer in the morning, it may have a sepia tone, but will transition to a regular screen within about a minute and then after use may (or may not) gradually take on the sepia tone again.

Ummm, anyone have any idea of what's what here? The Universal Prefs appear to be as they should be.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way to tell if the problem is with the LCD itself or the graphics chipset in your iMac is to attach an external monitor and see if the same thing happens. Your iMac is equipped with a Thunderbolt video output connector which is backward compatible with MiniDisplayPort. You'll need the proper adapter and cable to attach an external monitor.

You can always take your iMac to Apple and let them diagnose the problem. If you take it to an Apple store genius bar, they will not charge you for the diagnosis but of course will if you decide to repair it. I'm assuming your iMac is out of warranty.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPads
Thank you for this. I will try to mirror another monitor to explore the situation more fully before I go Apple for possible repair. The computer is still under warranty.

Thanks again. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.