No alerts for text-messages

Reaction score
My iPhone 3GS (IOS 6.1.6) has stopped alerting me when I receive a text-message. 'Do Not Disturb' is off, standard trill-tone + vibrate is on, so is 'View In Lock Screen.' Why is this happening ? It used to work perfectly well, or at least as well as any iPhone does....

C

chas_m

The vibration-motor may have died, I've seen that happen before, but you should still be getting the tone and notification. Maybe you have the switch set to mute?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, I am a bit suspicious about the vibrator-motor, but No, the telephone is not set to 'mute.' My thoughts are turning towards an LG...

Just a moment... the wretched thing has decided to work properly again, without my having made any changes whatever.

(My thoughts are still turning towards an LG.)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Putting aside, for the moment, the wisdom of buying an Android phone at all (malware and timely updates being a particular concern), there are much better Android phones out there if you're going to go in that direction.

Any particular reason you're not considering, you know, a newer iPhone? Mine's FANTASTIC (an iPhone 5s).

Also, I think I asked this before but ... how often do you actually "power down" the device (versus just "sleeping" it)?

OP
P
Reaction score
Any particular reason you're not considering, you know, a newer iPhone? Mine's FANTASTIC (an iPhone 5s).

I am not considering that, because I cannot see that it would improve my situation. I use my iPhone 50% for text-messages, 40% for listening to audiobooks, and 10% for everything else. How would a newer iPhone be of benefit ?

Also, I think I asked this before but ... how often do you actually "power down" the device (versus just "sleeping" it)?

Until the last week or so, I powered down no more often than about once a year. I am now doing so every night, in the hope that this will be beneficial.

Thank you for your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Putting aside, for the moment, the wisdom of buying an Android phone at all (malware and timely updates being a particular concern)
Timely updates means squat to 99% of users who do little more than text, browse the web and make phone calls not to mention that 99% of apps are backwards compatible. I'm surprised that this reason still comes up in discussions seeing as how it is of so little consequence. As for the malware, perhaps that's an issue if you do shady things on your phone, a problem not likely to be as prominent or troublesome relative to the considerably larger number of security vulnerabilities in iOS (page 35 of Symantec's study here or the CVE details for iOS which put it at 325 vulnerabilities since 2009 compared to the 1 for Android since 2009). Let's try to put aside the implicit wisdom of, without question, buying an iPhone for a moment. ;)

C

chas_m

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's a 2013 report from a company that doesn't deal directly with malware, reported on by a gadget site. You'll have to do better than that. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.