Admin Password Lost

Reaction score
Not sure when this happened, i.e. when I went iCloud or attempted to install Maverick. Using OS X 10.8.5 with lots of available HD space.
Kept getting message 'Lion wants to use Keychain PW" When I entered the only Admin PW I have ever used I get the shaking box. I can't install anything. Also I never locked the Keychain Access and now it was locked and of course I couldn't open it either. I found a way around the Keychain problem but still can't use/change my password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Boot into the Recovery HD (hold ⌥ alt/option at boot and select the Recovery HD).

Once it has booted, click Utilities, then Terminal.

Type resetpassword then ↩ enter.

Follow the instructions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you, Thank you, thank you! I finally got this done. I wanted to back everything up first so I purchased an Airport Time Capsule and set it up first. I also had some IP Address conflict problems and fixed them first. Last I followed your instructions and Voila!~I'm back able to install/update.
Oh, and just to let you know, I discussed the PW problem with several Geniuses at my local Apple store and they didn't have a clue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Glad you got it fixed. Always a happy time :D

I have also heard that about the Geniuses in this day and age. Not really knowing much more than they get taught, and by the book. Cant see outside the box :-/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.