Repairing a disk

Reaction score
My Mac osx6.8 has the dreaded beachball, slowness, and I get the "page not available" would it help if I use the installation DVD or what should I do. I have done disk utility several times. Thanks. Go slow as I,m a senior citizen. Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... I have done disk utility several times.

What does that mean? You did what exactly?

Open Disk Utility - highlight the Macintosh HD and tell us the capacity, available and used space.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, the free space shows 289.5GB
Used spaces. 30.15GB
I used the repair permissions on disk utility
Capacity. 319.7

Additional info....I was so frustrated that I bought a new MacBook Pro 10.9.2
But when the young man transferred data from the the old one...the same problems are happening.

Thanks for your help.
Beads

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would try a 'Repair Disk' rather than the repair permissions.
Repair permissions does nothing for the beachball in most cases.

Would also download and run Onyx - Automation tab - check everything in the cleaning and Maintenance sections.

To do that, you're going to need to boot from your Snow Leopard disc and go to Disk Utility.

If your only problem is loading pages from the web, have you tried resetting your router - by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.
And run Onyx.

OP
B
Reaction score
Repairing disk

Ok I did boot from the install disk and did the repair and it said:
The volume MAC HDR appears to be ok.
Then it said. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
I didn't know how to do that....

Also I downloaded the Onyx version 2.4.0 but when I tried to install it , it would not take my password or any password I tried. I can't remember me original keychain password, and can't change to a new one without the original one. What a pickle I'm in!

Thank you so much for helping me.

I still get the beachball and now I can't open system preferences.
Beads

OP
B
Reaction score
Repairing disk

Also I did unplug my verizon jet pack, that's *** I get my wifi, and then plugged it back in.

-----------------------Hours later---------
I am a happy camper!! I was able to change my password, did the cleanup with Onyx and am not getting
That beachball,
I hope this is all I need right now and THANK YOU very much.
Beads

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Congrats! I would suggest that you run OnyX every, say, couple-three months to keep the Mac in optimum health.

OP
B
Reaction score
Repairing Disk

Thanks for the OnyX info and suggestion. It would be nice if store told us that when we bought them. It's like every three months we should change our furnace filters, now we should do that too. Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll be back with more questions/problems.
Beads

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are several reasons the stores are not telling folks that. The ones that come to mind immediately are:

1. Some salespeople don't know about it.
2. Several of the cleanup routines in Onyx are built into the OS and run on a schedule. Onyx gives you, among other things, an easy way to run them as needed. That's not a slight against Onyx BTW. I've used it for quite some time.
3. Some users don't run Onyx on any kind of a regular schedule. My MacBook Pro gets used daily and I only run Onyx when I notice oddball behavior. I think I'm down to running Onyx once or twice a year now.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

4. Apple is never ever going to recommend a program by a developer that hasn't registered with them. (he has a good excuse: it's a free app, so he doesn't want to pay the $99/year, but IMO not joining is causing more problems than its solving -- his users would GLADLY pay him a buck or two for the program if he asked, even on a donation basis)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.