Files and softwares missing after backup?

Reaction score
Ok guys, here goes another doozie. Guy brought this Macbook Pro Model A1278 running OSX 10.0.2. He said he had been using both Time Machine and SuperDuper [weekly] for years to back up on his Lacie External drive. When this unit developed a software problem he had Tekserve company wipe the internal drive clean and reload the OSX then he attempted to migrate everything from the external back into the macbook which transferred everything except for one main folder named "Documents" which contained some specific files and programs. The Documents folder is showing on the lacie but it's empty. He's asking how to recover the missing data from the Documents folder, the missing files are:

Scrivener
Tinderbox
Delicious Library 3

plus some more, any ideas please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't be running 10.0.2 on a MBP.

Just because he says they were there, doesn't mean they were - particularly if the files are not there in 2 separate backups - I am "assuming" you've checked both the TM and SD! backups? And you've checked back in the timeline a month, 6 months, etc. in the TM backup?

If it's not there in the SD! backup, then they've either been deleted from the external or they were deleted from the internal prior to the last backup. If the former, then it's possible a data recovery app may be able to recover the files.

Personally, I totally stay out of the business of data recovery for others.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, sorry that was a typo, it is 10.9.2. I have no knowledge of TM or SD, I will search the net for info on how to look for the backup in them, get back to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
wait a minute, since I know the names of the missing files, in the same way you can simply type a search on any drive in a windows machine, can it not be done on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
but I need help knowing how to understand what I am looking for, is there a forum for the Time machine software where I might get some help?

Time Machine is self explanatory if you ask me. You click on "Enter Time Machine" and you get this cool visual as it takes you to the TimeLine and on the right is the timeline where you can scroll through the history, like going back in time.

wait a minute, since I know the names of the missing files, in the same way you can simply type a search on any drive in a windows machine, can it not be done on a mac?

You can search on a Mac by pressing ⌘+ Spacebar and that brings up Spotlight in the top right. Type in your search there. Do the same in TimeMachine as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I am getting the hang of TM but first, if you mean pressing the command and spacebar tabs at the same time, no it does not bring up any search bar?

Getting back to the TM, when I open it, it shows multiple small windows in tile view [one in front of the other] so to get to the 2nd window in the back of the forefront window I click on the red button on the back window and this removes the front window and now I can see the previous back window, is this how I am supposed to skip through all of the windows?

Anyway, so when I click on the front window when I open TM, the "documents" folder is empty so I am guessing this window is showing the existing folder on the external? So I click on the next window in the back, now I am seeing a "documents" folder with some of the files and folders the guy is seeking so I am guessing that this was the previous backup of TM? I looked at a few of the windows but they don't show anything so I go back to the 2nd window with the files but how do I copy that documents folder back onto the macbook's desktop please as when rightclicking on it on the external the usual menu is not appearing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Highlight the files to be restored and then click the 'Restore' button on the bottom bar.

The owner of the machine really should be doing this, as he is the only one that knows which files he wants restored.

You can also click on the timeline on the right hand side of the screen instead of selecting the next Finder window.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I highlight all the files and select RESTORE and choose the Documents folder on the macbook, it is showing "you can restore the files to this folder but you won't be able to see it, do you wish to continue", is this a permissions issue, what should I do here please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.