unresolved recipients Outlook 2011

Reaction score
When sending to a group list I have created, I get an "unresolved recipients" error, the message is not sent and moved to my drafts. I know one of the email address are wrong but I don't know which one. The list is too long for me to test each one individually. Also many of these email addresses are company email addresses so if they leave their company this may just happen again in the future.

More info, I'm connected through an Exchange server. If I use OWA (the Web interface) the email will be sent to everyone and I'll receive an "undeliverable response" telling me the incorrect email address. Why can't Outlook tell me the wrong email address?

Some trouble shooting Ive done: I created a test group with 1 wrong email address. Then I sent a test email. I have enabled logging and have looked at the (very cryptic) log file. I tried to search for the wrong email address/domain/user in the log file but can't find anything... So it doesn't appear that microsoft even logs the email that is bad... Very frustrating. I am trying to fix this on an executive's computer but I've been able to replicate the error on my own computer. I don't want to have to tell the executive he has to use OWA as a work around. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I miss Entourage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you get "unresolved recipients" it means one oor more of the email addresses is mal-formed. It has got to the point of knowing if the email addresses are valid and 'live'. It's just that there's something in the list that's wrong.

eg [email protected]; johnsmith_abc.com; [email protected]
This will show as an unresolved recipient.

Outlook, as an application, knows that there's something wrong and warns you.

OWA doesn't have this checking ability so it just fires it off and only errors if something can't be delivered.

Also many of these email addresses are company email addresses so if they leave their company this may just happen again in the future.
This won't cause the unresolved error. In this instance the email will be sent but those address not in use will return undeliverable.

The only way to resolve the issue is to look at the address list.
Copy and paste it to a text editor and replace all the semi-colons with carriage returns so you can see each address on a line on it's own. Shold be easy to spot the typo/grammer issue. Remember.... so long as the address is formed something@something it won't give you the unresolved error

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your response mrplow. I tested several incorrect email addresses. I tried misspelling the domain and the username. both of them give me this same response. I have made sure they were formatted correctly with no syntax errors. So, unfortunately I will get this same error when someones email address is no longer valid. btw, you are a loser and I think you are a boozer. (little Simpson's humor there)

Reaction score
unresolved recipients

I am getting this error code on an email I tried to send, however, there's nothing in my drafts so I can't find the email to delete it and just keep getting this error code every time I send/received messages. Where do I go to find this draft to delete it? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.