• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 11 and Export Functions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Now that I am uploading video and having to deal is slow, crappy internet. I started taking notice that 15min video exported from iMovie is like 2GB is size. Which is just huge. So I started looking this up on the internet last night, but most information was on previous versions that gave the option to export to QuickTime. I have been exporting strait to File and then uploading to YouTube. But since all my video is getting put on YouTube, I took a look at that option, its the same file size and iMovie warns me of anything over 15min could fail being uploaded. Well I can't deal with that. So I checked on exporting to iTunes. Now first off the bat is that the video is HALF (1/2) the size. Also it appears as a M4V extension instead of MP4. I really didn't notice any difference in video quality as of yet even though I know there is got to be a higher compression being used. But I am still uploading the video I did export for iTunes to see how it performs online. Exporting to iTunes doesn't seem to be bad at the moment, I can drag and drop them to the desktop from iTunes when I go to upload them.

But what I would really like is everyone else's opinion on this. Also what type of file compression does final cut deliver?

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Handbrake

I had a video that I created using Quicktime, so it was obviously an .mov file(Original size = 790.3 MBs). I then did an experiment.

1. Using Wondershare Video Converter, I imported the .mov file and had Wondershare convert it to an MP4. The resulting MP4 was of comparable quality but Wondershare actually increased its size to 803 MBs.

2. Using Handbrake, I imported the same file and had Handbrake convert to an MP4. Again, the resulting MP4 was of comparable quality, but it was only 183.1 MBs.

My suggestions....Handbrake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.