mac mini makes a noise

Reaction score
Hi
My mac mini(2007--10.6.8) started today making a noise like running your finger on a phonograph needle for about 1/2 second every 20 seconds or so. The music is interrupted during this short interval . At first I thought it was the player, but it also makes the sound when all apps are closed as well. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unless you have a disk in the optical drive...the only moving parts are the Mac-Mini's fan and the hard drive.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Nick. There was no disc in it, but I inserted one , played a bit, then ejected it. It's been ok now for an hour or more ; I hope it's fixed itself!!

Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply Nick. There was no disc in it, but I inserted one , played a bit, then ejected it. It's been ok now for an hour or more ; I hope it's fixed itself!!

Not to be negative...but I doubt it. Mechanical things that are getting worn out don't magically fix themselves.;)

If there was no disk in the optical drive...then the sound is/was either the fan or the hard drive. If it's the HD...then it may fail at any time (better have a backup). If it's the fan...it will probably get noisier & noisier...and eventually need replacing.

- Nick

p.s. The other possibility is a bit of dirt or fuzz got caught in the fan...and then cleared itself. This could be a sort of "magic" fix.:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again Nick--I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the latter is it. One thing I failed to mention--the noise wasn't coming from the computer itself; it was coming out of the speakers.

Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I failed to mention--the noise wasn't coming from the computer itself; it was coming out of the speakers.

Kinda makes a VERY big difference (GIGO)!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I realize that now; in the vernacular of the mindless(to which class you might be inclined to include me now)....Duhhhhh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize that now; in the vernacular of the mindless(to which class you might be inclined to include me now)....Duhhhhh

No problem.:) Sometimes what's in our head doesn't always make it into the text of a forum post.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
If it does return, now that you have correct information, any ideas as to what might have caused it?

Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since we're talking sounds coming out of the speakers...there's the possibility of a lose wire (but I doubt it). It's probably something software related (something "funky" with an app...or low quality music files).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try unplugging the jacks and giving them a clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.