How do I reset admin password??

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook pro 15" refurbished laptop and realized that I have no idea what the admin password is. I checked with Apple instructions and still can't reset the admin login password. What do I need to do to reset this password and set it to one that I create so I can utilize all the features my mac offers? I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from Leopard 10.5.5 and that didn't give me any way to reset the admin password or user password. HELP!!

C

chas_m

Actually it did, but you can be forgiven for not noticing -- it doesn't exactly call attention to itself!

Here's what to do:

1. Restart the computer with the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, and holding the option key down on startup select it as the boot drive (just as though you were going to reinstall Snow Leopard, but you're not going to)

2. When it gets to the part about languages, pick English. Then look to the menubar and you'll see a menu that offers choices. You should pick "reset password" and the rest should be obvious from there.

3. You should restart the machine and eject the disc by holding down the trackpad or mouse if you're using one (left button) and then proceed as normal. You will probably need to go into the Keychain Utility and delete the old keychain as well for good measure.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m:
Believe it or not I tried this and it comes up and asks me for the password to continue. I might have made the mistake of setting my name for the name "user" with the mobileme set key in the admin menu. This is new to me even though I have been using my old macbook pro 15" 2006 laptop until this new one. I'm not able to do much without the mystery password. I'm really stuck!! I can't even re-install from the Snow Leopard disk without password permission. Please advise.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you booted from the Snow Leopard DVD and did what Chas said it asked right there for the password booted from the DVD and clicking on Reset Password?

OP
R
Reaction score
dtravis7 thanks for your reply. It wouldn't let me get to password reset without wanting the password. I upgraded this laptop with the Snow Leopard disk and I believe it migrated the keychain login info from the original folder from Leopard 10.5.5 that was on this mac when I got it. I wonder if I delete the folder "keychains" would that allow me to reset everything?? Advise...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Always best to erase a hard drive on a used machine and then install a fresh operating system using the Snow Leopard DVD. then you set your own password, Networking etc. You can make a clone to an external drive first if there is anything you wish to save.

Some larger applications such as Office and Adobe do not Migrate well and usually require re-activation.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply harryb2448. It always scares me to wipe a hard drive. I fear the unknown of what happens if the new Snow Leopard doesn't load and it is the 10.6.3 version. I guess I will have to reload all the upgrades again, but I don't care about that as much as fearing the unknown. Do I use the utilities on my mac to format and wipe this HDD? Advise steps please...

OP
R
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous!! When I try to erase or partition the main drive it is grayed out and won't let me. Whoever had this laptop before put in their password for the admin privileges and now it's my problem. I can't do anything from the Snow Leopard disk either without password permission. I'm going in circles and am about to toss this HDD and get another one that's clean. I blew all my $$$ on this laptop and now need to spend more on a new disk??? I'm frustrated and ready for a large bourbon 5 finger shot. HELP!!!!!

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm not being sarcastic, but is this site mostly European or a site based in the USA? My last post showed as in GMT time and I'm on the East coast of the US. Just asking!! It's 11:00 PM my time April 30. Am I looking for replies too early in the morning in GMT?? I do appreciate your expertise and replies to my hysteria. Thanks to y'all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
R
Reaction score
Hey harryb2448:
I got to thank you for the link, but I must say that no one ever caught the one trick that made all the other instructions work. The trick was to HOLD THE "C" KEY DOWN through the entire boot process. Once that was done everything came together and I was indeed able to wipe the drive and petition it and clean load the OS. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. BTW the bourbon helped too.

M

MacInWin

Um, well, chas_m did say that in post #2, although he didn't emphasize to hold it down throughout ( the Option key gives you the option to pick a boot drive, the "C" key forces the CD boot). As for time setting, go to your control panel and select your timezone. The site defaults to GMT.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with MacInWin, to get rid of Confusion boot with the Option key down and select the OSX DVD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to you all!! I learned something new for me but 'obviously' old news to y'all. Thanks for your kind patience during my tutoring experiences here. I will try to be a mentor to anyone that I might be able to help in this forum in the future as you were to me. Blessings!!
BTW 'macinwin' did I detect a slight bit of irritation with my misunderstanding chas_m... No one is perfect!!

C

chas_m

I can't speak for macinwin but no irritation here ... I probably should have said "and hold" when describing the action. Glad you figured it out.

Reaction score
chas_m the c key are you meaning the control key or the option key. sorry i didnt understand that part, am not too keen on computer jargon, thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m the c key are you meaning the control key or the option key. sorry i didnt understand that part, am not too keen on computer jargon, thanks

C as in Charley! Bottom row between the X and the V. You hold it till it starts to boot off the CD/DVD drive. The C used to stand for CD before DVD's took over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.