Disk Utility won't let me erase a SD Card

Reaction score
Hi there! I need your help.
I can't format my new SD Card with Disk Utility. I have looked the switch on the left side of the card and it's unlocked and also I have tried pressing Command + R during startup to access disk utility but it didn't let me erase my card either.
I hope you can help me.

Screen-Shot-2014-04-29-at-7.10.39-PM.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I saw a tip recently on SD cards that had been formatted Ex-FAT and couldn't be formatted using Disk Utility.
Try booting from an OS Install drive if you have one (USB Stick is supposed to work) and access Disk Utility that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is a problem that you run into with some SD cards. I have two SD cards that are exactly the same and Disk Utility refuses to format them. The cards in question can be formatted in a camera but not with using Disk Utility. I also have a smaller SD card that can be formatted by Disk Utility.

The card that can be formatted is made by SanDisk, the ones that refuse to be formatted are made by PNY. The SanDisk is an "Ultra", while the PNY cards are "Premiums".

OP
J
Reaction score
It didn't worked

I saw a tip recently on SD cards that had been formatted Ex-FAT and couldn't be formatted using Disk Utility.
Try booting from an OS Install drive if you have one (USB Stick is supposed to work) and access Disk Utility that way.

I have already tried that, and it didn't worked :Shouting:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a problem that you run into with some SD cards. I have two SD cards that are exactly the same and Disk Utility refuses to format them. The cards in question can be formatted in a camera but not with using Disk Utility. I also have a smaller SD card that can be formatted by Disk Utility.

The card that can be formatted is made by SanDisk, the ones that refuse to be formatted are made by PNY. The SanDisk is an "Ultra", while the PNY cards are "Premiums".

Actually, the tip referred specifically to problems formatting PNY StoreEdge SD Cards. Some (or perhaps all) are being shipped formatted Ex-FAT and then can't be reformatted OS X Extended without booting from an install disk first.
Found tip in Amazon comments.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I said above, some SD cards can be formatted with Disk Utility, some can not. But they all seem to be able to be formatted in a camera.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already tried that, and it didn't worked :Shouting:

I was going to suggest before Charlie posted, but you might try formatting it in a camera to see if it works that way.

EDIT: I see that I still type too slow . . . ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip about PNY cards Mike, but I've tried formatting them even as FAT-32 and they refuse. I guess I could try the tip about booting from an install disk to see if that will work.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip about PNY cards Mike, but I've tried formatting them even as FAT-32 and they refuse. I guess I could try the tip about booting from an install disk to see if that will work.

Haven't tried it myself. I only buy Sandisk (and a smattering of Transcend) SD cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Select the Apple SD Card and see how you go. Not partitioned I take it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I messed up Harry and bought some cheap PNY cards on sale in a discount store. But you know how it is, when you're retired you try to save on whatever you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i7, Upgraded 1TB SSD, 16gb of RAM
How to reform your SD Card in Disk Utility if the program is not allowing you

Click on 31.89 gb and go to the partition tab. Select 1 Partition and select the type of format you want on the right side. Press partition. It will take about a minute and reformat your SD card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To be honest Charlie I abandoned that trying to save money long ago. The nastiness of cheap, faulty products last a lot longer than the satisfaction of having saved a few bucks in my book!

And boy have I bought some disasters over the years!

Reaction score
Success!

I've been struggling with this (even asked my son to try on his PC!!). Crashed both my iMac and the PC. Had one more try (32 GB micro SDHC card). Using Disk Utility I tried reformatting in 4 partitions (Fat32) which worked but I had to force eject each partition. Then reformatted as one partition. Now seems fine. Perhaps I was just lucky?

Reaction score
You are n00bing it I tell you how to do it!

Hi there! I need your help.
I can't format my new SD Card with Disk Utility. I have looked the switch on the left side of the card and it's unlocked and also I have tried pressing Command + R during startup to access disk utility but it didn't let me erase my card either.
I hope you can help me.

Screen-Shot-2014-04-29-at-7.10.39-PM.png

you are clicking on the sd card it self in the disc utitity

and not the thing that says
apple sd card etc...

Make sure that is highlighted then choose erase and pick the format you want I choose exfat or the other one md mos of the one that say fat 32 and do it. It will work unless your sd card has the lock switch on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am just now encountering the same issue.

The SD card is currently formatted as FAT-32 as a Master Boot Record and as such I cannot write to it from my Macbook Air. When I open Disk Utility to format the card, everything related to the SD Card is greyed out.

This Macbook Air is running 10.10.5 Yosemite.

I have just plugged it into my Macbook Pro Running 10.12.4 Sierra and I can format the card through Disk Utility just fine.

Weird but I hope this helps you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.