Repair of Mac book

Reaction score
Good morning. I need help with a big decision I have to make. I took my MacBook 13" in for repair for a gray screen that fades in and out. I just got a quote for a new screen of USD 500.00. Then they also said that my MLB has a affected hardware, no video indication to an external monitor , that will cost another US D 537.00 , Total of US 1037.00. My MacBook is 5 years old, I have just replaced the battery for A fortune as well when it burst open. I bought A IPad retina a couple of months ago, I was told that my old Snow-leopard wouldn't work with the IPad so it had to be upgraded to Maverick which they did. Ever since then my Mac has been giving me trouble , it's slow and sluggish and now the screen is almost gone. My question is this, is it worth fixing ? How much better are the new MacBooks , can I download everything I have on my current Mac on to a new one or will it also be overloaded, Is it worth the repair, Can I use the IPad if I go back to the Snow-leopard version ? Do I need this MLB and what is it for ? They have given me 6 days and then the quote is off. Please can someone help me with this decision. I am quite useless at this and my pockets are quite empty as well, by the way, can I just collect the old Mac and store it for better times and then download what I have on it on to something else or will it all just die with the computer. By the way, I am in Malaysia now so don,t really trust the young school kids that seem to be working the computer shops here, but there seems to be only one actual Apple business centre who repairs Macs here so I can't take it for a second opinion. Many Thanks Krisin.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good morning. I need help with a big decision I have to make. I took my MacBook 13" in for repair for a gray screen that fades in and out. I just got a quote for a new screen of USD 500.00. Then they also said that my MLB has a affected hardware, no video indication to an external monitor , that will cost another US D 537.00 , Total of US 1037.00. My MacBook is 5 years old, I have just replaced the battery for A fortune as well when it burst open. I bought A IPad retina a couple of months ago, I was told that my old Snow-leopard wouldn't work with the IPad so it had to be upgraded to Maverick which they did. Ever since then my Mac has been giving me trouble , it's slow and sluggish and now the screen is almost gone. My question is this, is it worth fixing ?

No...absolutely not. For the USD $1037 in repair costs...you would be MUCH better off investing that money into a newer model Mac.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

Why would you even consider putting over $1,000 into repairing "any" 5 year old computer - even if it does have an apple on it. A brand new 13" MacBook Pro that will blow the one you have out of the water is $1,200 or the new 13" MacBook Air for $1,000.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick. I realize that a new Mac is more expensive in Malaysia than it is here in the US, but paying over $1000 for repairs is just throwing good money away. Save your money until you can buy a new Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
I agree with Nick. I realize that a new Mac is more expensive in Malaysia than it is here in the US, but paying over $1000 for repairs is just throwing good money away. Save your money until you can buy a new Mac.

Many thanks for the reply, I feel better knowing that I am not that stupid after all, I really thought this quote was a bit too much for the repair , but wasn't so sure , but as I said, they are a young crowd that run the office here and I have always felt not properly trained.
Thanks Kristin.

OP
S
Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you with your quick reply ! I will take your advice , but how long can I keep my stuff on the old computer till I can buy a new one and download on to it ?
Thanks Kristin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the reply, I feel better knowing that I am not that stupid after all, I really thought this quote was a bit too much for the repair , but wasn't so sure , but as I said, they are a young crowd that run the office here and I have always felt not properly trained.
Thanks Kristin.

Maybe the quote was high...and maybe it wasn't. Macintosh parts & repairs are expensive. Especially in countries where new or used Mac parts are not commonly available...and Mac repair folks may not be easily found.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but how long can I keep my stuff on the old computer till I can buy a new one and download on to it ?

I'm not sure this statement says what you mean it to say. But if it is accurate...how about at least 5-10 years. Is that long enough until you get another Mac computer??:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.