What is the best malware virus protection for a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I liked using Chrome, but somehow got some malware on this Mac, which the main reason I paid a premium price for a computer was to be immune from this stuff. Since it's not, what is the best malware protection I can get?
Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What makes you think you got malware on it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Paying a premium price for a computer has nothing to do with one's computing habits. Staying away from sites that promote malware and torrent downloads will keep the malware at bay.

Check out this LINK which reviews AV software for the Mac and draw your own conclusions. Most of us do not use any AV software and Apple keeps OS X up to date to prevent any security breeches.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
It was working fine until I clicked a link on Facebook. Then all it does is try to load adclick, click it, and programs like that continuously. The refresh arrow doesn't stop.
I do not want to pay for malware/virus protection for this MacBook Pro when I was able to get Microsoft Security Essentials free from Microsoft and to worked better than the paid programs like Norton, and McAffee.
I disabled and removed all the extensions in Chrome as I read to do but it didn't do any good.
I'm at a loss and disappointed with Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
It was working fine until I clicked a link on Facebook. Then all it does is try to load adclick, click it, and programs like that continuously. The refresh arrow doesn't stop.
I do not want to pay for malware/virus protection for this MacBook Pro when I was able to get Microsoft Security Essentials free from Microsoft and to worked better than the paid programs like Norton, and McAffee.
I disabled and removed all the extensions in Chrome as I read to do but it didn't do any good.
I'm at a loss and disappointed with Mac.

First, you DO NOT need to pay for malware/virus protection on your MBPro and are over-reacting to the issue describe - from the quote below related to the link given, this is not an issue w/ Mac OS, so just relax.

Second, why are you not using Safari, i.e. the native browser for Mac OS? Let me stop there and let you sort out the issues and post back - good luck! Dave :)

Well, you can relax... BOTH of the "infections" it lists ( a "Rootkit" and a "Trojan").... WON'T run on a Mac, so you KNOW it's a fake. There's NO WAY it could have detected WIndows malware on a system running OS X.

I'd stay away from that Facebook page, and report it to them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I did start using Safari and love it!

Thanks for all the replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do use anti-virus and yes, I am a recovering Windows user. But I also like to use my mac to download software for my windows machines. I can scan downloads with Sophos - which is free for macs, then transfer it to my windows computer. I have been very impressed with Sophos. It does not bog down the computer. I also use my mac for email and and sophos will nail email attached viruses and eliminate them. Since the viruses are presumably for windows machines I don't have to worry my mac will get infected.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thanks everyone, the problem seems to have been either Adobe (I did install the latest upgrade as recommended) or an extension in Chrome as I did disable all of them as recommended. AND I'm going to keep using Safari, it is sooo much faster. I'm just the type of person that if something isn't working right whether I'm using it or not I want it to be right.

Thank you all! I'm a happy Mac-user now!:Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.