Help files for Mac Excel 2011

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the help files and the shortcut key that is F1 in Windows exist for the Mac version of Excel?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, F1 and F2 are assigned to adjusting brightness on your Mac. F1 does not work in any of the Mac Office apps the same as it does in Windows. Besides, all you need to do is click on help - same thing. The help information provided is the same otherwise.

OP
W
Reaction score
No, F1 and F2 are assigned to adjusting brightness on your Mac. F1 does not work in any of the Mac Office apps the same as it does in Windows. Besides, all you need to do is click on help - same thing. The help information provided is the same otherwise.

Well, no, it is not the same thing. In Windows, if you click on an object and then hit F1, you get help on the object under the cursor directly with examples. On the Mac, you can’t do that. So, you say the same information is provided in “help.” So, let’s say I want to know more about ActiveSheet. I click on the ? button to get VBA help. A screen comes up that tells me all about VBA help. So, then I go up and enter in the search box “ActiveSheet.” I get another window that says “No help topics were found for ‘activesheet’. Hmmmm. So, then I search for ‘active sheet’. Then, I get Excel Help with four topics: File formats for saving workbooks, File formats that work with Visual Basic, Excel 4.0(XLM) macro commands, My function doesn’t work, and Sharing documents with other versions of Office.

None of these has anything to do with the object I am looking for. How is this the same thing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to access the on line help provided by Microsoft which should be the same as you have in your Windows help files. When you click on help in Excel, Word, or PP, you can select to "Go online to see the full set of Help, tutorials, and videos".

I use both Mac Office 2011 and Windows Office 2010; and yes, it's not as convenient as having all the F1 help topics on hand as in Windows, but it works. Just takes a bit more time. I don't know why MS chose to set it up that way, but they did.

OP
W
Reaction score
I don’t see this option. When I click on Help I get the following selections:
Excel Help
Contents and Index
Welcome to Excel
Get started with Excel
Check for Updates
Visit the Product Website
Send Feedback about Excel

What am I missing here?

OP
W
Reaction score
I get far better results going to Google and looking for information on VBA objects than I do with any of the Microsoft help windows I am able to find through Excel. I must be doing something wrong. I see essentially nothing to help with VBA programming.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't look hard enough:

Click on "Help" on the Excel top menu. Then click on Excel Help right below the search box. A dialog box opens on the right side of the screen "Excel Help". Right above that is a statement that says "Go online to see the full set of Help, tutorials, and videos." All the way to the right of that statement is a small box that says "Go Online". Click on that....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.