Full internet connection, browsers wont load

Reaction score
Two nights ago while connected to wifi, the internet cut out on my macbook air.
I restarted the router and the airport utility.
Since then, my macbook will connect to the network but when I open any browser, it hangs loading no matter the website.

What's funny is that all my other computers and devices connect fine.

I would say my mac knowledge is medium to high, but I've never seen anything like this. Its almost like my mac has casght a browser hijacker and behaves like an infected windows computer.

Things I've tried:
restart gateway
restart airport utility
Change dns to use 8.8.8.8
connect to router with lan cable and ethernet thunderbolt adapter.
Tries using network diagnostics and assistant.
(network diagnostics concludes that I am connected fully with wifi/ wifi settings/network settings/isp/internet/server) but still no website will load.
Tried creating a new network location called AUTO
Ran sophos virus scan, no infections.
Tired safari, firefox, and chrome.
Checked router for blocked ip and MAC addresses, none.
Used dhpc and static ip's to try and connect.
removed network from airport utility in network preferences, and reconnected but same problem persists.
Pretty much everything except restart the macbook, which i am trying to avoid for separate reasons.

I did read a forum post that said I can delete a file within library preferences netwrok diagnostics, by using services, but the instructions weren't the clearest. I was stopped when my macbook did not have a reveal option under services, and have been unsuccessful in finding better instructions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like your internet connection is down or the wan port on the modem/router is dead. Have you called your ISP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.