How do I route system sounds to USB audio?

Reaction score
I own An M-Track USB audio interface. Music, Videos, and Applications in general all route audio to this device properly. In sound settings, both Input and Output are set to the M-Track. The problem is that system sounds specifically still route to the built in speakers. This is a problem since a lot of my work is done overnight while my wife is sleeping. These random sounds wake her up. Please help me figure out how to fix this.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure there are other options but if I recall correctly Audio Hijack Pro can do this.

Reaction score
This should work for everything except startup bongs.

Sound 2014-04-30 03-32-10 2014-04-30 03-32-21.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe I am misunderstanding something but I'm not sure that will do what the OP wants. Lets suppose that the OP selects a sound device connected to the USB port. Because that is the sound device that is selected system sounds will be sent there as well IIRC.

Found a description of how to do this with Audio Hijack Pro (not free but worth the money). In the video the guy is routing Safari audio through the headset and other audio through the speakers. Try his directions setting the system sounds to go elsewhere like the speakers (or mute them). Other sounds can be sent to the interface.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/0...r-specific-apps-to-different-outputs-in-os-x/

He says there are other ways to do it and I am sure there are. One of the programs I used to use for this is no longer being developed though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re-reading the OP's post I think you're right, he doesn't want them to be outputed to the USB device and mess up his work.
In that case he needs to disconnect the USB device, set the Alert volume and output volume to 0, then reconnect the USB device.
The volumes are separate for each device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.