'Control' key on Macbook Pro not working - help!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro running OS X v10.9.2

Yesterday some water was spilled across my keyboard at work, which I cleaned up and dried off pronto. Today, however, I have discovered that the 'control' key no longer works!

I'm looking for help on a few aspects:
1) Is there any alternative to the control key that will perform the same functions - eg. can I set the computer to make another key perform the usual functions of the 'control' key? It's kind of an important key to have!!
2) Is there any way to run a diagnostic test on the keyboard to determine why that key isn't working and/or if any other keys are damaged?
3) How can I go about getting this fixed?

Thanks for the help!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Spills are unpredictable. The water likely damaged the keyboard contact for the control key. But if that's all the damage that was done by the spill, you were lucky. Keep an eye on things and be sure to read our "Spills Sticky Post" at the top of this forum.

In order to determine if other keys are OK, use the on screen keyboard display and check each key to be sure they're working. (Show keyboard viewer from language selector.)

One thing you should be aware of, is that the logic board is directly below the keyboard on your MacBook Pro. Keep your fingers crossed that water didn't seep down on to the logic board and cause damage or shorts - especially if the machine was on when the spill occurred. Getting it fixed is another matter. You can take it to Apple and see what they say. Spills and accidental damage is not covered by the warranty or Apple Care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.