Advice Wanted

C

chedercheyz

i'm a student about to commence into uni and i've persuaded my rents to get me a Mac.

My Degree course is in Sound engineering and studio work, this includes production and creation. but this has left me with a difficult decision.... WHAT MAC IS FOR ME???

Ok here are the options. (all products are brand spanking new from the apple shop)

option one: iMac with nessicarry gear.

option two: Powerbook with the new Intel chip, and all nesicarry gear

I know what out board gear i want and what software i'm jsut torn between the convenience of the Powerbook and the usfullness of the iMac.

So! any help is apreciated, thanks a lot.

Joe :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
get the macbook pro if you have the money, portability rules!

OP
C

chedercheyz

macAttack said:
get the macbook pro if you have the money, portability rules!

the only thing is, i've heard bad reports about the mac book pro with the first generation of the Intel chip, so i'm a bit sceptical.

the powerbook Intel chip is the generation 2.

thanks for the reply, its much apreciated

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
powerbook intel chip is generation 2? don't be so sure about that, i think the macbook is replacing the powerbook eventually. As with all first generations, it will be a bit buggy, and so will the imac, and realize, the macbook pro hasn't been used that much by anyone, they just shipped a coupld of days ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
If I were you I would get a g4 powerbook until all the programs are switched over to universal binary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I'd go macbook pro.. its faster then the imac and is indeed an amazing machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
powerbook, macbookpro, imac or powermac should all be great solutions, but i would call up a professor at your school and see what kind of stuff you will be doing at home so you have an idea of what kind of power you will need in your mac
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Get the iMac, its very cost effective. You will have enough $$ left over to get pro tools and a midi keyboard, more ram, etc. You will have a much bigger screen to work with, a faster and more spacious HD, Dual Layer DVD burning as opposed to single layer. Cheaper apple care, cheaper ram upgrades. A MacBook Pro comporably equipped to an 20" iMac is going to be anywhere from $500-$1000 more. Since your parents are graciously buying you a computer, dont take them to the cleaners. Get the more practical and cost effective choice.

OP
C

chedercheyz

thanks to every one who has inputted to this, your advice is much apreciated.

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.