Temperature of macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a 15 inch macbook pro retina, and I had a question regarding temperature. I've noticed when I'm laying in bed the computer gets very hot. I know this is because of poor circulation because I'm laying on a bed. I'm not talking in terms of it being comfortable, but for the health and well-being of the computer, do I not need to worry about it? Can I trust the fans will work at whatever speed they need to to keep the computer at a healthy temperature and I don't need to worry about it? Should I be concerned about it getting hot for the health of the computer? If so, should I use a program to speed up the fan when I'm laying in bed, and if so, which one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum. First, I would suggest obtaining iStat Menus which monitors many features of your computer, including the temperature(s) & the dual fan speeds; second, I would strongly encourage you not to use the computer in bed if the machine is on top of covers - the vents on my spring 2013 MBPro are on the lower back and sides and can easily be obstructed. If you must used the computer in bed, then consider buying a computer cooling pad that will keep the vents open; there are plenty of designs, e.g. checkout this Amazon Link - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.